Firmata and Yun troubles

Hi,

First post. I recently got an arduino Yun to build a sensor interface. Right now the purpose is to fit it on a pianist/circus artist.
He wishes to manipulate sounds physically thru Max4live within Live etc...

I'm using the earliest arduino IDE (1.5.6) and did follow the Firmata/Maxuino.

The point is, I loaded the "firmata standard" exemple, which did uploaded well within my Yun.
Then opened the firmata test provided on their website.
Connected to the right port, then... nothing, whereas i assume it should show me the availables input and their activity just like in the tutorial.

Just can't get where's the mistake (if there is).

Thanks

You need to use a modified version of Standard Firmata. I have a copy in s2a_fmhttps://github.com/MrYsLab/s2a_fm/tree/master/Snap!Files/Snap!Mobile/StandardFirmataYun/StandardFirmataYun

I am using this version with the PyMata https://github.com/MrYsLab/PyMataclient that runs on linino.

I have an example of controlling a DC motor over wired and WiFi in this Instructable The Snap!Mobile - Start Your Physical Computing Engines! : 11 Steps - Instructables

Thank you so much, i was getting crazy trying to use alternative (OSCuino, but it's not working with Yun, and there is a udp2serial library alternative but i can't understand the setup procedure given).

Will definitely come back to let people know how it works for me, and if i can achieve it i'll try to get even just a short video of the final performance to post-it. The main performer was offered a "student carte blanche" in a great parisian theatre (Cité de la Musique) and wanted to explore his circus background with his piano playing (which is exactly what i usually personnaly do with guitar/viola and circus/dance)

Well I actually have a couple of questions :

Tried to figure out the way to use your links but it’s a bit blurry to me, even if i read your topic about the DC motor controlled over Wifi.

First i get you needed to go thru the Pymata client anyway in order to get the information from Firmata,then you’ve got a link between Pymata and an other couple of softwares patchs (s2a_fm and Snap!).
To have it to work thru wifi you put the python stuff (including s2a_fm) in the linino of the Yun, then send it to Snap! thru wifi.
This is fine to me.

But how can i do it with max/msp ? I mean, i guess i need something else to get the information from Pymata up to maxuino, isn’t it ? (Tried to see some incoming information from a simple potentiometer within maxuino max4live device, but nothing shows up)

Also, so far i guess there must be a mistake within my installation, i can’t have the blinking exemple to work with Snap! (as in your tutorials).
To be clearer i should say, I installed python 2.7, then py.serial, then pymata
I’m wired thru usb (micro-usb,maybe it’s about the standard one in your exemple, I imagined not because linino isn’t used i your exemple)
Now i try to launch the s2a_fm soft in the console but it answers me “COuld not instantiate Pymata. Is your Arduino plugged in ?” which it is obviously.
I actually imagine i could try to get the information into snap! then transmit them with OSC to a max patch…

Thank you

Now i try to launch the s2a_fm soft in the console but it answers me “COuld not instantiate Pymata. Is your Arduino plugged in ?” which it is obviously.
I actually imagine i could try to get the information into snap! then transmit them with OSC to a max patch…

When you invoke s2a_fm, the default serial port is /dev/ttyACM0. If that is not the port that you are using, then you would need to specify it. So, for example, if you are using Windows, and your com port is 4, you would start s2a_fm with:

python s2a_fm.py com4

I am not familiar with max/msp, but if it works with Firmata, then all you need do is load the StandardFirmataYun sketch into the Arduino and you don’t need PyMata.

Hope that helps.

Hi,

Thanks for reply again.
I tried several times with the Yun edited Firmata sketch and I can't get why it doesn't work. Maxuino isn't supposed to be ready for the Yun (it's not showed within the hardware list, but it's kinda close to a Uno so i did hope to get at least some information).

Anyway i made a very simple patch, from the OSCuino library that communicate thru USB to Max/MSP using the [serial] object then [slipOSC] object plus a couple of routing (using [route] object) and it works perfectly in a wired configuration.
If one wants to to so i suggest to put a [print] object out of the [slipOSC] to figure out the way it's routed (that is the way you do it within the arduino sketch, it's gonna work even just by copying the exemple sketch down the OSCuino page of CNMAT)

The hard time comes now with trying to do so in wifi... using the Bridge Library for the Yun and the wifi

I'll keep up posting if i can do it.

Hope to come back soon with good results, still thanks for your help, the suggestions helped me a lot to break thru what i was missing.