For the love of God what battery connector

Hello -

Recently I designed/ordered some PCBs and managed to select the wrong battery connector on the assembled board. So, on the second pass, I paid an electronics engineer to help - I sent him a link to the battery I am using and told him it was described as using a JST 1.25 male connector. He selected a connector, I ordered the PCBs, they arrived today and…wrong connector.

I’ve attached some images here of the connector my battery uses and the connector he selected for the board. Can someone please help me sort these out? What I’m looking to know…

1. What type of connector does my battery have
  2. What type of connector is on my board
  3. Does anyone know where I could get a lipo battery that uses the on-board connector
    and
  4. Does anyone know what kind of SMD connector I need to connect to the battery I have?

Thank you in advance, please help me end this battery nightmare.

Perhaps if you identified the battery and a link to it’s technical data, we could see what the connector is.

Paul

Enjoy:

elveax:
I sent him a link to the battery I am using and told him it was described as using a JST 1.25 male connector.

Never tell a professional the answer you want :slight_smile:

...R

That was a hardware version of the xy problem

It looks to me from the photos as though the shell of the connector could be custom 3d printed. (or is it just the resolution of the picture/ my monitor?).

You haven't told us how the connector is wrong.
Are the pins the correct pitch?
Is it the polarising features that are wrong? - they could be modified with a craft knife

Here is the clickable link to the battery SkyRC Replacement Lipo Battery for Speed Meter GPS GSM-015 / GSM-010 | eBay

It looks like one in my dashcam when I took it apart to replace the battery.

Here's a link about the JST connector JST connector - Wikipedia

/

JohnLincoln:
You haven't told us how the connector is wrong.
Are the pins the correct pitch?
Is it the polarising features that are wrong? - they could be modified with a craft knife

The problem is the shape of the housing. The battery itself has a square-ish connector and the female port on the board is clearly designed to accept something u-shaped. The pitch is probably correct, but I'm not going to bother with a craft knife as I think I would probably fail (for one) and more importantly, I'm trying to get the correct connector onto the board so that if I order 100 of these I don't have to modify 100 connectors with a craft knife lol.

It seems like it's just damn near impossible to find the correct female connector for this battery type, even though it's a very common battery (used in all sorts of drones, etc.). Anyone know how I can determine this without ordering a hundred female connectors off digikey and trying them out one by one?

elveax:
It seems like it’s just damn near impossible to find the correct female connector for this battery type,

Have you enquired on a website that deals with radio control, or from suppliers of R/C equipment. Have a look at the http://www.micronradiocontrol.co.uk website

…R

Thanks for the input everyone....I think ultimately I am just going to have to order a new type of batter and a new type of connector. This battery specifies it uses JST PH 2.0 mm, and this type of connector matches that description:

https://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/jst-sales-america-inc/S2B-PH-SM4-TB-LF-SN/455-1749-1-ND/926846

“ think ultimately I am just going to have to order a new type of batter and a new type of connector. ”

Or change the connector yourself. :wink:

Example: