FTDI problems!

Hello everyone. I’m programming an atmega328 with a FTDI programmer and having some problems. When I upload a sketch on the arduino IDE, I get the message

avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding.

The chip is bootloaded with the arduino uno bootloader and it works. When I plug the chip into the arduino uno, it uploads the sketch no problem and does what I program it to do. I think the main problem is that the RX led is not blinking. The TX led and the led at pin 13 blinks regular like on an uno. Is there something I should put in between the RX pin and the the FTDI pin like a resisor or cap? I also have attached the fritzing file to how I have wired it. Any help? :fearful:

Thanks,
qtechknow

ATmega328 Dev Board.fz (233 KB)

Does your circuit include an auto-reset?

(I don't have Fritzing so I can't answer the question for myself)

I have attached a button to reset, one side to gnd, one side to reset. I think that’s an auto reset. When I press the button the pin 13 led blinks, like on the uno.

Thanks for the replies!

qtechknow:
I have attached a button to reset, one side to gnd, one side to reset. I think that’s an auto reset. When I press the button the pin 13 led blinks, like on the uno.

Thanks for the replies!

No, that is called a manual reset button, press it and you force the 328 into and out of reset when you release the button. For that to work with the IDE upload command you have to press, hold, and release the button at just the proper moment, not always an easy task.

What auto-reset does is use a .1ufd series cap from the FTDI DTR signal to the 328p reset pin, that way the IDE can automatically reset the chip at just the proper time to perform the upload. There should also be a 10k ohm resistor wired between +5vdc and the chip reset pin. So either wire in that cap and resistor or learn the proper timing for the manual reset button on your chip.

Lefty