FTDI usb-serial VS arduino uno usb-serial converter

Hi, I recently wrote a java program that reads information from my arduino uno using the RXTX library. Everything works perfectly well.

I am in the process of purchasing an rfid solution. I am looking at this: http://proto-pic.co.uk/rfid-reader-id-12la-125-khz/

coupled with this to connect to my laptop over usb http://proto-pic.co.uk/rfid-usb-reader-new/

I noticed that this uses the FTID usb-serial driver. I know the arduino uses something else, as stated here on the product page: "The Uno differs from all preceding boards in that it does not use the FTDI USB-to-serial driver chip. Instead, it features the Atmega16U2 (Atmega8U2 up to version R2) programmed as a USB-to-serial converter."

Essentially I have a working program reading serial from my arduino using the RXTX lib. Will the RXTX lib also work in the same manner for this FTID thing as well?

Thanks for any help you can offer

{I am using linux btw}

Yes. You just need to find the emulated serial port to connect to.

Should be /dev/ttyUSBn.

thanks guys! Cheers for the help I ordered the parts just now. :)

Hello guys

I have a DIY Arduino Uno R3 separate in 2 boards. One with the ATmega328 microcontroller and the other with the ATmega16U2 (which i call the programming board). This programming board can be removed in order to consume less power. I’m trying to upload the USB to serial firmware into the ATmega16U2 but i read a lot of tutorials and i’m still not able to know if it is the correct way and the correct hex file to program. Can someone tell me which hex file should be uploaded using FLIP?

…\hardware\arduino\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\UNO-dfu_and_usbserial_combined.hex
or
…\hardware\arduino\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\arduino-usbserial\Arduino-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex
or
…\hardware\arduino\firmwares\atmegaxxu2\arduino-usbserial\Arduino-usbserial-uno.hex

and if you find some mistake in the attached schematics please tell me.

I have already tried removing the level shifter (i was using it because i want to power the main board at lower voltages(~3V)).

My best guess would be this file from Arduino 1.0.5:

hardware/arduino/firmwares/atmegaxxu2/Arduino-COMBINED-dfu-usbserial-atmega16u2-Uno-Rev3.hex

I've already tried that one. That doesn't even load in FLIP after i select the ATmega16u2