Fuel Pump Control

Hey guys,

This isn’t necessarily an “arduino” question, but this is the only forum where I know I can get the help I need/bounce ideas off of smarter people than I.

Here’s the deal: I have a 12v PWM (20hz) signal coming from a control module (the car EXU), the control module is only rated for 14amps. This isn’t enough for the load (upgraded aftermarket fuel pump) that I
would like to drive.

There’s is a solution on the market already, but it’s $700! All I need is to design a circuit that allows the incoming 12v pwm signal to drive I’m guessing a MOSFET, that can be connected to its own power source to run the new pump. But the output PWM “speed” has got to match.

Please any thoughts would be GREATLY appreciated, and will be met with a heartfelt internet high-five and/or first bump lol.

Cheers!

Any single device, transistor, mosfet, etc. will invert the signal. Is that ok?

Paul

Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to read!

I don’t think it would work I f it were to invert the signal, as that would cause the motor to spin the opposite direction.

Cheers,
Oliver

If it helps, the signal is a 12v pwm the other side of the output load (the pump motor) is just going to ground.

oharris91:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for taking the time to read!

I don’t think it would work I f it were to invert the signal, as that would cause the motor to spin the opposite direction.

Cheers,
Oliver

If you think maintaining polarity is necessary, use two devices.

Paul