General Question user interface on PC screen

Hello,

I'm very new to Arduino and looking for a (general) introduction to a simple GUI,

At a small project I've been working on I have to measure temperature, pressure and need to open and close some valves. To get it more user-friendly I'm looking for a simple GUI. All I need is some sliders to push values up and down, displaying some numbers and buttons for on and off, too. That's it! Very simple!

However, the stuff I found was either somehow too specific or somehow "too much" information. For example, I found a library called ControlP5. This seems to have all the visual effects I need. But how I can I connect it with the Input/outpout of the Arduino? I also found a program called Processing. Do I need this for ControlP5?

So, I'm just looking for some kind of introduction to GUI for Arduino (link, book, etc)? And to be more specific I'm looking for a graphical interface I can use instead of the serial monitor. Nothing to plug in, etc. Simply displaying it on the PC screen.

Any help would be much appreciated!
Thanks in advance!

Here is an example of what I have in mind:

controlP5-interface-basic.jpg

controlP5-interface-basic.jpg

I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. The Arduino is not a Lego Set where you just plug in components. Also, what are the I/O devices you are using? LCD Touch Screen, Terminal, Nextion? Every one would be different.

SteveMann:
I don't think you are going to find what you are looking for. The Arduino is not a Lego Set where you just plug in components. Also, what are the I/O devices you are using? LCD Touch Screen, Terminal, Nextion? Every one would be different.

I know that and that's not what I'm looking for.
To be more specific I'm looking for a graphical interface I can use instead of the serial monitor. Nothing to plug in, etc. Simply displaying it on the PC screen.
Do you know what I mean?

Does it have to be on a PC screen?
Have a look at https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=604185.0

PerryBebbington:
Does it have to be on a PC screen?
Have a look at https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=604185.0

Thanks for your answer!
As a beginner I was looking for something easy on a PC screen.

prankenandi:
Thanks for your answer!
As a beginner I was looking for something easy on a PC screen.

Do you mean easy to create or easy to use?

PerryBebbington:
Do you mean easy to create or easy to use?

Probably both.
Check my first post! I added a picture of a simple interface.

I know I can do what you want on a Nextion display easily. I don't have a clue about on a PC. Maybe someone else has the appropriate experience for a PC.

I'll leave others to make their suggestions.

One thing that could fit your needs (well, much more than that) is the LabVIEW interface for Arduino. It'll do anything as its a graphical programming language, the first one I learned before working with Arduino and C.

https://create.arduino.cc/projecthub/projects/tags/labview

People do it with Processing. The old multiWii quadcopter controllers were set up using a Processing GUI. (Processing<–>Arduino) I don’t know how to do it myself, but that would be where I would start trying to do what you are describing.

Another approach, not as sexy is to add a command processor to your Arduino and use it kinda’ like a old UNIX interface. That is pretty easy to achieve with the right library. And, it gets you up and running in a hurry. You can add the fancy interface later as you learn more.

-jim lee