How to????

So ive got some serial.print functions in my code and i want to display whats going on in my program by some sort of real time display page on my pc by using the rs232.

Here is something similiar to the type of page im talking about:

What kind of software could i use to create this page and allow it to talk to my Arduino. Now bearing in mind i have NO experiance in software and this is my first arduino project, so anything that is real simple and straight forward to use would be great.

Any ideas what software to use to create such a page???

VR

I would use VB express from microsoft - free to download and use, lots of documentiation and examples out there of .net code and quick to build a gui similar to the one you’re suggesting.

You may also want to look at Processing: http://processing.org/
It’s a language that is designed for non-programmers and uses the same Integrated Development Environment as the arduino and uses a syntax that is closer to the arduino than VB.

If you know someone with programming skills that you can turn to for guidance getting started and help when you get stuck – ask them for their advice on how you should build the PC application. Almost anything that can send and receive serial data would be able to talk with the arduino. It will be a lot easier undertaking a complex interactive project like this if you have someone that can actually see what you are doing.

But whatever you choose, start with something simple. Perhaps something that just animates your led images when buttons are pushed on the arduino, then add responding to mouse clicks of the button images to send messages to the arduino. Later you can visually change the water level in response to an analogRead value from the arduino. By taking this on in small steps and separating the building of the user interface from the Arduino real world control, you will have a less bumpy learning curve.

Have fun!

To put together a quick GUI I always use VB. I hate having to code in buttons and stuff. VB makes it easy cause its drag and drop.

Flash is another drag and drop interface that I’ve played with thats fairly easy to use.

If you know someone with programming skills that you can turn to for guidance getting started and help when you get stuck – ask them for their advice on how you should build the PC application. Almost anything that can send and receive serial data would be able to talk with the arduino. It will be a lot easier undertaking a complex interactive project like this if you have someone that can actually see what you are doing.

Unfirtunatley i dotn know anyone personally who works with arduino or software. So far my project has slowly come together piece by piece from looking at all the great stuff on here and arduino.cc and by peoples projects posted on the net.

I will look at both programs suggested and see what i can come up with. I will attack it as you say by starting small and just building up the page. Moving on once i have a section completed and working.

Thanks for you help so far guys, its all very much appreciated!

VR

huh, weird, dunno if this is a dead thread but il contribute anyway

looks mad similar to what i recently used for a robotics competition - Labview

Ive seen lab view in the searches but never really looked deep into. Does labview allow you to create such pages and then allow you to display real time data from the Arduino???

VR

well… lemme tell u, labview is the biggest b**** u will find when it comes to coding because it doesnt involve coding… it involves making gui based “code diagrams” where a loop function is literally a box and code objects are placed inside the box, then wired together… its really strange and mostly arbitrary…

so i dont advise it, and also, its not really C code, so i dont kno how the atmega will react… although labview was, in theory, a replacement for C code on the robot… still i wouldnt be too eager to try it

but other than all that, yes, its probably possible to achieve similar results in labview, in fact, it looks like that screenshot was taken in labview in the first place ;D

Do you have a link to your robot project and GUI i could have a nosey at???

VR

lemme see if i could find something similar to what i had on the robot, the actual code is on a school pc, so i dont have access to it atm

here is a pic i found, i mean just google labview and u’l find more but yea, here u go

http://www.webs1.uidaho.edu/ME451/Lab%20Results/Labview_%20Diagram.JPG