Good multimeter?

A quick google shows that I can spend anywhere from $5 (harbor freight) to $167 (fluke) on a multimeter. Any suggestions on what I should actually get? I just need a basic, nice-quality multimeter, preferably one whose capacitance measurements actually work.

I bought this meter from Frys Electronics not too long back:

http://www.frys.com/product/5160976?site=sr:SEARCH:MAIN_RSLT_PG

"Extech MN36"

I needed it for the capacitance measurement, but I found it didn't go low enough for my needs (and if I wanted to go lower, I would pretty much need to purchase a regular LC or LCR meter - which I'll probably end up doing).

Other than that, I have found it to be a nice meter; I like my small collection of cheapo Harbor Freight meters, but this Extech is a nice "step-up" for me. It has a stand, auto-ranging, frequency measurements, temperature measurements, data hold - the only real thing lacking is a backlight (but I don't need it).

All in all, I've been pleased with it!

:slight_smile:

In my experience anything below ~$40 is generally not worth it for the long term. The $167 for the Fluke is a bit much, mostly you're paying for the Fluke brand. I'd look for something in between.

But a DMM is like a contractor's tape measure: you always need it, so buy the best one you can for the money and you won't regret it.

Sparkfun sell the Chinese UNI-T UT60A for $60, but it can be had on ebay for $35.

I used Flukes back when my company paid for them. Now that it's just a hobby, I'm less picky.

Don't get one too small or too large in size. Too small and the leads will pull it around, too large and it is bulky and gets in the way. I like my little red HF multimeters (which were on sale this past weekend for $1.99) which can do 90% of what I'm usually interested in. Make sure it has an audio beep feature for checking continuity. You should be able to get a decent unit with all the usual features for $30-50, depending on where you shop. Places like jameco and the surplus dealers usually have a good selection.

Well work history spoiled me on Fluke multimeters, so that is what I still use. Have a couple of model 87s and one bench model 45. So while I can't afford to drive a Porsche I could afford to acquire Flukes over time, so call it a short deviation from practicality. They are all a pleasure to own and use, however not a requirement as there are many fine lower cost imported meters available that will fill most needs.

I have acquired over time, via E-bay or trades quite a bit of test equipment including a Tek 2213 O-scope, HP 8601A sweep generator, Leader LFG-1310 signal generator, a LCR meter, etc.

Lefty

I bought an Extech kit through Amazon. We also have an Extech and some Fluke meters at work. I am happy with the build quality, speed and feel of the Extech. I'm not a professional so I don't know exactly how I would judge any more critically than that..

Anything around 25$ is good and nice looking.

this is my model.

But I more pricy multimeter will have a better acuracy and better function.

Go for one with a oscilloscope (if possible under 100$ or forget it),

Dealextreme has an allegedly genuine Fluke that's for the Chinese market only. They'll sell it to you but you're out of luck on warranty (and probably instructions, too).

I too am spoiled with Fluke. I got a cheap one (Craftsman on sale for ~US$20) that is OK, but the Fluke is much nicer.

-j

I too am spoiled with Fluke.

Funny how that happens... I have the following, in order of perference; A 30 year Old FLUKE hand held, a older HP Benchtop (wicked accurate), low cost Velleman (which I only purchased for the Capacitor and Frequency meter) and a very cheap and generic Craftsman.

Fluke wins with reliability, accuracy most of all speed. It's just faster.

Go for one with a oscilloscope (if possible under 100$ or forget it)

If you can show me a new hand-held o-scope (never mind the other functions) that's worth a damn for under $100.00...

No, the scopes at Seeedstudio don't count...

:slight_smile:

+1 for the UNI-T UT60 Family - I've had a couple and recommended them to a few, perfect performance so far.

A big difference in multimeters is the safety rating they hold like CAT-III/600V. With a cheapo meter if it receives a large enough transient spike it can catch fire, injure you, etc... Fluke meters are all typically CT-III or higher. You are an idiot to work on branch circuits/motors/distribution equipment with a cheap-o meter. For things like the Arduino all you need is a cheap-o. If you are planning on using it in your house on your electrical system or are doing anything to expose yourself to lethal voltages you should not use a cheap-o... Thats the main reason a fluke is more money..not just for the name but for the testing it has gone through and the design of the built in safety features.