GRBL does nothing when I send $

I am just loosing it... never in my history of using computers have I been unable to "google" a solution, but here I am...

I have "flashed" GRBL to my arduino uno

I have added the GRBL and GRBL-Master to my library

I am using Arduino IDE 1.6.3

I can "include" the GRBL library and open the Serial Monitor

The serial monitor will read: Grbl 0.9i ['$' for help].

When I type $ nothing happens

Here is my question:

so what am I doing wrong, everything I read says I should get SOME information... I get nothing...

do motors need to be attached?

I KNOW, at one time I had this working and I could get SOME information when I sent the $...

I went out and bought a Protoneer GRBL shield as one of the first steps to building a CNC router (I already owned 3 Stepper motors), but now I don't know if I'm going to be able to feed the arduino "G-code..." I'm at a standstill...

ANY feedback will be appreciated..

-=- JAY

GRBL is a complex program. Have you ever seen it working on an Arduino? (I don't mean to imply that it can't - I am just asking about your experience)

The first thing I would try would be loading it with Arduino 1.5.6 as 1.6.3 seems to contain many "improvements".

...R

I was writing a dissertation explaining more and opened the Serial Monitor because I couldn't remember what it was called. I started playing with the "settings" at the bottom of the screen next to the baud rate.

I knew the baud rate had to be 115,200, but I never found where I had to have the other box set to anything...

GRBL seems to work fine as long as I picked something [u]OTHER[/u] than the default setting: "no line ending" ... all 3 other settings seemed to let Grbl work!

At least, when I sent "$", it gave me the "help" info I was expecting... I sent a few of the "help" codes and it returned information...

Sorry to bother all y'all with such a sophomoric (moronic) question, but maybe someday someone will have the same problem and THIS page will help them..

You need to send a line ending for a line-by-line interpreter. :)

Robin2:

GRBL is a complex program. Have you ever seen it working on an Arduino? (I don't mean to imply that it can't - I am just asking about your experience)

Then you need to get the Arduino library version from here and play with it - works out the box nicely in my experience: http://blog.protoneer.co.nz/grbl-arduino-library/ And its not complex (compared to LinuxCNC for example)!

MarkT:
And its not complex (compared to LinuxCNC for example)!

I was thinking of “blink without delay” :slight_smile:

…R

Everything is relative.... GRBL source can be read in few sittings.

Mark,

All I needed was the library from Protneer?

I JUST bought the protoneer shield and was going to be "hooking it up" today...

Man this gets tougher and easier at the same time!

:D

Well, crap, that didn’t work.

Now, I’m right back where I was - or worse… now, I cannot even get the Grbl that was working to come up… bunch of errors…

MarkT:
Everything is relative… GRBL source can be read in few sittings.

Perhaps. But it would be a big ask to expect someone here to do all that just to answer a question.

…R

I don't understand, that library works out of the box in my experience?

Have you bricked your Arduino? You need to re-install the Arduino bootloader after installing the non-library version of GRBL.

The protoneer version is, I think, several versions behind, which may be an issue, but the convenience more than makes up for it for most use-cases I reckon.

If you work with GRBL and Arduino IDE serial monitor you must configure the IDE as carriage return.