Help/Advice/Parts list for Analog LED Matrix Clock

Hi there!
I have an ambitious project in mind. I want to make an LED matrix clock that shows the time with simulated hands. The LEDs would be set in rays radiating from the center. The "hands" would be lit rays of light. The seconds would be a row that moves around.
I've already figured out that I need 720 LEDs.
I want to individually wire the LEDs so that I can program in things other than the clock hands such as patterns activated by sound.
BTW I am a total NEWB and am learning from scratch. I am also completely insane and always try things way over my head. I am using the AdaFruit Experimenter kit right now to begin my learning curve but this is the project I WANT to work up to.
My questions

1. Can someone help me narrow down a materials list?
    What breadboard would you use?
    What gage wire and an estimate on how much needed? I'm looking at about 30 inch Diameter Clock
    What Controller/Processor might be recommended? I know I need enough memory to control all those LEDs but how much.

2. Programming will, of course, be a challenge. Any ideas to get me on the right road? I see there are modules for the digital clocks that people build. Can these be adapted to output what I am looking for with the simulated hands?
    I attach a picture of the LED layout. In my current design I would use RGB LEDs. The blue circle is the hour hand, the red is the second sweep, and the white is the full length minute hand. I would want a secondary program to run other patterns in the matrix.
    Thank you for your help in planning out this project!

Hi Pixmanny!

Take a lok at Adafruit's Neopixel clock. It's a similar device on a less grandiose scale. Here's a link:

Chris

ps, look also at this current thread: Guidance for Arduino Controlled Multi- LED Radial Matrix

It seems to be similar, or at least orthogonal.

ChrisTenone:
Hi Pixmanny!

Take a lok at Adafruit's Neopixel clock. It's a similar device on a less grandiose scale. Here's a link:

Overview | NeoPixel Ring Clock | Adafruit Learning System

Chris

I do plan to build that one first as a learning project. Thank you.
I am also watching the thread you mentioned. It is using addressable strips, which I don't think will work for me, but I am considering. The problem with strips is that I don't think it will give the same retro-analog feel I am looking for.

pixmanNY:
I do plan to build that one first as a learning project. Thank you.
I am also watching the thread you mentioned. It is using addressable strips, which I don't think will work for me, but I am considering. The problem with strips is that I don't think it will give the same retro-analog feel I am looking for.

Look into using "grain of rice" bulbs instead of LEDs. Those are retro!

Or learn how to fade in/fade out the LEDs so they look more like incandescent bulbs.

Example:

Instead of full RGB for each LED, maybe 6 LEDs for inner color, 3 for middle, 3 for outer, all single color?
Then you could use 2 x 3-LED segments of blue, one 3-segment for red, one 3-segment for white.
And get away with 180 channels of LED drive vs needing 720 individual LEDs. With all on and 12V source, would 4 x ~20mA * 60 = 4.8-5A power supply.

Strings of 12 WS2812B (Adafruit Neopixel) per second/minute with multiple strings daisychained for control wouldn't be hard either. Lot more current with all on full; 720 x .06A = 43.2A. Bright too! LarryD did a diamond shaped clock with 15 WS2812B per edge (I did the card that holds 15 chips on a side for it), 60 total, on the half hour & hour it runs a color changing pattern thru all 60 at once and that is bright! It's toned down too, only running on a 1A wallwart. 720 would be blinding.