Help - Arduino IDE installation on Apple's new M1 machines

Hi

Has anyone successfully merged to apple's new M1 system?

I'm having a few issues migrating my libraries and installing drivers to get my Adafruit huzzah32 & sparkfun wroom esp32 boards communicating.

any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated

cheers

I don't own one of these new ARM-based Macs, but I am interested in the subject.

What are the problems you've had?

I'm running into an issue with the FTDI driver.

"Tools > Get Board Info" is working and reporting the right info.

When I try to upload sketches to the board, I'm getting this error:

Sketch uses 444 bytes (1%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32256 bytes.
Global variables use 9 bytes (0%) of dynamic memory, leaving 2039 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2048 bytes.
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x00
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x43
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6f
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x6e
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x65
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x63
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x74
avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x69

strandbygaard:
I'm running into an issue with the FTDI driver.

Which Arduino board are you using?

strandbygaard:
"Tools > Get Board Info" is working and reporting the right info.

What does it say?

I get this just from trying to compile code that works fine on my intel Mac:

Arduino: 1.8.13 (Mac OS X), Board: "Adafruit ESP32 Feather, 80MHz, 921600, None, Default"

In file included from /Users/xxx/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SparkFun_Qwiic_Relay_Arduino_Library-master/src/SparkFun_Qwiic_Relay.h:4:0,
from /Users/xxx/Documents/Arduino/libraries/SparkFun_Qwiic_Relay_Arduino_Library-master/src/SparkFun_Qwiic_Relay.cpp:12:
/Users/xxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/Wire/src/Wire.h: In member function 'uint8_t Qwiic_Relay::_readCommand(uint8_t)':
/Users/xxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/Wire/src/Wire.h:99:13: note: candidate 1: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(int, int)
uint8_t requestFrom(int address, int size);
^
/Users/xxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/Wire/src/Wire.h:97:13: note: candidate 2: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(uint8_t, uint8_t)
uint8_t requestFrom(uint8_t address, uint8_t size);
^
/Users/xxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/Wire/src/Wire.h: In member function 'float Qwiic_Relay::_readVersion(uint8_t)':
/Users/xxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/Wire/src/Wire.h:99:13: note: candidate 1: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(int, int)
uint8_t requestFrom(int address, int size);
^
/Users/xxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/Wire/src/Wire.h:97:13: note: candidate 2: uint8_t TwoWire::requestFrom(uint8_t, uint8_t)
uint8_t requestFrom(uint8_t address, uint8_t size);
^
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "esptool.py", line 57, in
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 389, in load_module
File "serial/tools/list_ports.py", line 29, in
File "/Library/Python/2.7/site-packages/PyInstaller/loader/pyimod03_importers.py", line 389, in load_module
File "serial/tools/list_ports_posix.py", line 31, in
File "serial/tools/list_ports_osx.py", line 32, in
ValueError: dlsym(RTLD_DEFAULT, kIOMasterPortDefault): symbol not found
Failed to execute script esptool
Multiple libraries were found for "WiFi.h"
Used: /Users/xxx/Library/Arduino15/packages/esp32/hardware/esp32/1.0.4/libraries/WiFi
Not used: /Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/libraries/WiFi
exit status 255
/Applications/Arduino.app/Contents/Java/arduino-builder returned 255
Error compiling for board Adafruit ESP32 Feather.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
option enabled in File -> Preferences.

I could not connect an Arduino Uno R3 in the following environment:
OS X Big Sur 11.1 on a MacBookPro 2020 with Apple M1 processor.

Problem: the USB port is not shown in the list. I tried with two different USB-C to USB-A adapters, both third party.
As I read in another thread, using the original Apple USB Adapter could fix the problem. I intend to try and I'll reply here about it.

Nevertheless, generally I wonder about the lack of information regarding using Arduino in a Mac environment is coming from the manufacturers of Arduino/Genuino. Also on my previous Mac I wasn't able to connect to the board, after upgrading to the newer OS X (Catalina, etc...).

The apple M1 machines are not currently supported.

Anyone with an M1 should monitor the link above for future news.

Bob.

Upgrading to newer versions of Macos, greater than 11.0 or in my case migrating to a new M1 mini presented a few challenges, especially for Arduino IDE. Here it is, step by step to get both platform IO and Arduino IDE up and running on the new OS notably with ESP32 , especially where the transfer of code to the device is concerned. Version 11.2 of MacOS is used in this example on a brand new installation.

The video that covers the installation of Platform IO. This video explains the minor change in procedure top the installation of the VCP drivers as covered below.

Easy Migration from Arduino IDE to Platform IO Part 1 of 2 - YouTube The original Arduino IDE video as discussed

Pyserial download

Just to let you know that the „original Apple USB-C adapter“ solution worked for me.

I recently switched to a MacBook Pro M1 - running Big Sur 11.3.1 and also ran into
avrdude: stk500_getsync(): not in sync: resp=0x00
errors, while connecting my Arduino Uno via an external USB Hub (making sure I chose the right port).

I solved the issue simply by using an original Apple USB-C to USB adapter -> directly connecting the Arduino to the Macbook’s USB-C port.

No errors, uploading of sketches working just fine!

Hope this helps others running into the issue!

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.