Help me translate languages!!!!

Hi there,

I'd like to know if there are language translation engines that can be embedded in the Arduino microcontroller and are capable of translating languages using inputs from the microcontroller. My requirements are like these: I want that translation engine to be stored in an SD card,
it should be accessible through the sketch (I mean, programme) and should translate when called using a single line of code( I don't say that the third need is mandatory; I just want to accomplish the job of language translation in 2-3 lines of code). Thanks for all help in advance.

Sam

What do youean with "lenguage translation"? From C to basic? From C to English? From English to chinees?

From one of the languages in the world( as you said, Eng. ) to another.

So a generic translator? I don't think that a similar file can exist, and if it exists i think that is too big for a SD card. You can try to write that file, but it is hard (it may be something like

Word in English / word in franch / word in italian / word in russian ...
Word2 in English / Word 2 in franch / Word2 in italian...

And your Arduino has "only" to find the word in a line of it and print the part of the line relative to the final language.

Arduino can't run programs from anywhere so it's the only way I can see

Download Google Translate to your smart phone. Works very well!

Hi everyone,

I went through your replies. According to one of the replies you've sent, I'd have to create a text file and extract the word/sentence that is the corresponding translation of the word/sentence that I want to translate. Okay, that's something that will work. But my concern is how that's gonna translate almost every thing given as input. Also, as per another reply(by jremington), I'd have to use Google Translate to accomplish that (tedious) job of translation. But what if the Internet connection is weak? Isn't that going to make the project futile? I know how much time you must have devoted to find a solution to my dilemma, but the replies seem to be not that satisfactory. I'm sorry if I've disgraced you through this post. Please remember that I'm 14 years old and I'm not that acquainted with whatever complex thing I've got to do to make my project successful.May God bless and help you all.

Sam

If you use Arduino you can't use any programs. Arduino can run only only its program, adn every file Arduino read from the SD is treated only as a group of bytes, that is perfect to store informations, but it CAN'T be a program that with an input give an output
If you use PC I think that some programs exists, but I'm not sure.

Nothing can translate everything, because not everything can be translated. You have to know what you can tramslate, the input that you can have, and how are they translated. If you don't know it... Its simply impossible

But why do you need that translator? Can't you read the language that you can write?

This is way beyond the capacity of an Arduino. Your best option is, as suggested, Google translate. The Arduino can manage collecting the text and displaying the translation, but that's about it.

I'd have to use Google Translate to accomplish that (tedious) job of translation. But what if the Internet connection is weak?

Google Translate works off line. Try it before making such silly assumptions.

For memory reasons, it is completely out of the question to use an AVR based (standard) Arduino for language translation.

Silente:
If you use Arduino you can't use any programs. Arduino can run only only its program, adn every file Arduino read from the SD is treated only as a group of bytes, that is perfect to store informations, but it CAN'T be a program that with an input give an output
If you use PC I think that some programs exists, but I'm not sure.

Nothing can translate everything, because not everything can be translated. You have to know what you can tramslate, the input that you can have, and how are they translated. If you don't know it... Its simply impossible

But why do you need that translator? Can't you read the language that you can write?

The answer to the last question is : I can read and write both English and Malayalam ( and a very little bit of Hindi). I require a translator for use in a top-secret project (sorry for keeping it a secret!).

jremington:
Google Translate works off line. Try it before making such silly assumptions.

For memory reasons, it is completely out of the question to use an AVR based (standard) Arduino for language translation.

Sorry for making such a silly assumption, sir.

My last doubt - is it possible for the Arduino microcontroller to give input and get output from a Windows executable file stored in an SD card? Sorry if I've been silly, it was only because of insufficient knowledge about the things we've discussed. Also, would you mind explaining the things to me the same way you'd explain them to a beginner who has 25% knowledge in this? Sorry for all trouble in advance.

Thanking you.
Sam

is it possible for the Arduino microcontroller to give input and get output from a Windows executable file stored in an SD card?

No.

Windows executable files run only on computers with operating systems. Arduino has no operating system.

thanks, I left the project :slight_smile: