Help please! "Potentiometer"

I have no idea how to stick a B10K potentiometer through the breadboard to my Arduino Uno board. The image of it is shown below in the attachments. Please help!

unnamed.jpg

the middle pin should be connected to A0
The left pin to GND
The right pin to 5V

Are you asking why the pins won't fit the breadboard holes? If so, either use pliers to compress the pins or solder some small solid copper wire to each pin and press that into the breadboard holes.

Paul

robtillaart:
the middle pin should be connected to A0
The left pin to GND
The right pin to 5V

How to connect it to the breadboard then?

Those pins sure look too large to fit into breadboard to me - you might be able to force it, but sometimes doing that munges the holes in the breadboard, and they don't make good contact when you use them with normal pins later.

Cut male-male jumpers in half and solder the ends onto the pins, or use a potentiometer with pins that fits into the breadboard.

And this is (one reason out of several) why breadboard sucks - non-standard pin spacing or large pins stop you in your tracks.

DrAzzy:
Those pins sure look too large to fit into breadboard to me - you might be able to force it, but sometimes doing that munges the holes in the breadboard, and they don’t make good contact when you use them with normal pins later.

Cut male-male jumpers in half and solder the ends onto the pins, or use a potentiometer with pins that fits into the breadboard.

And this is (one reason out of several) why breadboard sucks - non-standard pin spacing or large pins stop you in your tracks.

I can fit them into the breadboard, but there isn’t any holes on the potentiometer to fit the jumpers that go to the Arduino board.

I can't believe I am reading this! What kind of breadboard do you have? All the ones I have seen and used have a whole row of connections that are all in parallel. There should be 20-50 rows on your breadboard. Plug the pot into three rows and the jumper wire into a hole adjacent to the pot pin. check for continuity with an ohmmeter.

Paul

Radul009:
I can fit them into the breadboard, but there isn’t any holes on the potentiometer to fit the jumpers that go to the Arduino board.

You don’t connect the jumpers on the potentiometer itself, you put the jumpers on the breadboard that have connection to the potentiometer that go to the Arduino board.

Hi Bill,

I knew that photo looked familiar :slight_smile:

OP (Original Poster), maybe also see the whole page HERE:
(There is sample code there, too)

I will redo that photo with the YourDuino RoboRED which makes the connections even easier..

A lot of what I do is about making connections easier for newbies and schools... See more about cables and connections HERE:

DISCLAIMER: Mentioned stuff from my own shop...

BillHo:
You don't connect the jumpers on the potentiometer itself, you put the jumpers on the breadboard that have connection to the potentiometer that go to the Arduino board.

Thanks a lot!