Help with RPM to MPH

Okay , I have a motor running with a magnet , a sensor picking up the magnet . I get correct RPM numbers on my screen , everything seems to be working well.
My problem : How to I get it to convert my RPM to MPH , I know my wheel spinning is 5inches in diameter.
what code would do the math for me ??? is this possible , thank you to all that try to help, its appreciated
matt

Circumference is pi*diameter. Each revolution is 1 circumference. For your 5 inch wheel, that is a factor of 15.71 or so. If you can live with 2% error, you can just multiply by 16 and keep things in integers.

First,,, thank you Keith for replying.
I am with you a 100% on the equation for the wheel speed conversion. Could you possible supply me with an example of how you would sketch/code the equation , thats my main problem .

THANK YOU

oops, I gave you inches per hour.

1 mile = 30,960 inch so you have:

pi * d(inch) * 1 mile/30960 inch.

Since it is much less than one, we will go ahead and use floating point.

float mph = rpm * 3.14159 * 5.0 / 30960.0;

or 5.07E-4 mph per each rpm

If your wheel is spinning really fast and mph actually means something, you can also use the formula:

unsigned int mph_ten_thousandths = rpm * 5;

so 2000 RPM will be 1 mph.

Not sure what the trouble is.

KeithRB:
oops, I gave you inches per hour.

1 mile = 30,960 inch so you have:

pi * d(inch) * 1 mile/30960 inch.

That is incorrect.

One mile is 5280 feet. One foot is 12 inches. Therefore, one mile is 5280 * 12 = 63360 inches.

You are right. Somehow I typed 2580 into the calculator. (My new prime shows me the history so my mistake was preserved for all to see.)

Thank you Keith for not yelling at me . Im helping my boss with this project. He as written the supplied sketch, I am at work just trying to help him in between machining parts. He has more expericene than I do by far, so i will show him what you wrote me . We understand the math needed , he just wanted the screen to display it and thats the part of the sketch that did not work. When I would try to add the equation into the sketch it would crash and not verify. So I thought going to the forum would help me. You have helped me , and I really really appreciate you taking your time to help. I must be new to this forum thing as well. hehe. Take care !

When I would try to add the equation into the sketch it would crash and not verify.

When you’re in that situation, come here but post the code that wouldn’t verify and the error message you got. It’s a whole lot easier for us to help you get that running and fixed than to try to work through a vague question about how do you do x.

const float TireDiameter = 5.0;  // Tire diameter in inches
const float TireCircumference = TireDiameter * PI;
const int FeetPerMile = 5280;
const int InchesPerFoot = 12;
const long InchesPerMile = (long)FeetPerMile * (long)InchesPerFoot;
const int MinutesPerHour = 60;

float RPM = 1000;  // test example

void setup() {
  float InchesPerMinute = RPM * TireCircumference;
  float InchesPerHour = InchesPerMinute * MinutesPerHour;
  float MPH = InchesPerHour / InchesPerMile;
  Serial.println(MPH);
}

void loop() {}

Are you 100% sure of that math? inch/min / min/hour == inch*hour / min^2. The units aren't coming out right for me which usually means the math is off.

Delta_G:
Are you 100% sure of that math? inch/min / min/hour == inch*hour / min^2. The units aren't coming out right for me which usually means the math is off.

Oops! You are right. I've corrected the code to convert from inch/min to inch/hour and then to mile/hour.