Help with USB input decoding

Hello! My first post here, sorry if this is so simple it hurts but I hope you can help me out real quick.

I'm looking to create something that I can plug a USB gamepad into that would let me send a signal with the GPIO pins. To visualize this, I want to be able to plug in my Xbox controller to an actual arcade cabinet. I'm reading a lot online about how you can do this the opposite way, which is en-coding, and of course I want to de-code, so if I hit the Up button on the controller, it will send a Low out of the right GPIO pin.

Any advice or hints would be greatly appreciated, thanks!

No problem, just get hold of the protocol used by the gamepad.

1 Like

Which model?

1 Like

Oh, sorry! Great question it's a Hori Real arcade pro, which is a wired USB fightstick, not the factory Xbox360 controller. It works the same to my knowledge, just has a different layout that's made for arcade games.

Awesome, so I believe it's just called XUSB, which is a derivative of X-input drivers for PC. I could be wrong, but I can research more for sure.

If I have the right protocol and load the library in, just plugging it in via the micro-USB should get it to recognize the controllers inputs? (Then do all the important coding/GPIO associations). Thank you for your time, as you can probably tell I'm really out of my element here haha.

No. The controller USB is a client. You need a server shield.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.