high torque motor advice for earth drilling

I need max 24V high torque dc motor and step motor for earth drilling.

DC motor using for turn drill bit.

Step motor using for up down movement mechanism.

I buy this motor, but it is powerless for earth drilling.

37mm-24V-DC-2RPM-Replacement-Torque-Metal-Gear-Box-Electric-Speed-Reduce-Motor

http://www.ebay.com/itm/251914914390?_trksid=p2060353.m2749.l2648&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Do you have any advice for DC and Step motor?

regards…

What about using a battery powered drill/screw-driver. They have lots of torque and should be easy to control with an Arduino if necessary.

What size hole are you drilling? At a nearby building site they recently had what looked like a 2 metre diameter drill.

Have a look at Stepper Motor Basics. It includes a basic system for measuring torque.

Have you the option of gearing down the stepper motor to increase torque?

Really it would be a good idea to post a diagram to what you are trying to do.

...R

Actually I want to mini hoe robot.

Diameter 10 or 15cm enough.

Depth 20 cm enough.

I can't use drill because my main idea is not drilling, I want to hoe.

I have iron bracket suitable for this job, I need high torque DC motor for turn this iron bracket.

And I need second motor for up down movement mechanism (to sink into the soil).

best regards...

isbora:
Actually I want to mini hoe robot.

See the last paragraph of Reply #1

…R

Possible projects using firgelli linear actuators.

https://www.google.com/search?q=firgelli+excavator&num=100&lr=&as_qdr=all&biw=1076&bih=584&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwj2mPaA7f3KAhUEKiYKHQI0AjIQsAQIJg

You should try a 24V windshield wiper motor. Not incredibly powerful but about the best you'll do without spending a lot of money.

thanks for replying...

Which is better; Brush or Brushless?

Are there any suggestions for 24V windshield wiper motor?

ebay or alibaba.com link please, big thanks...

My advice is first measure how much torque and speed you need - these are fundamental to choosing a motor system. Measure torque in the most adverse conditions then double the value. This is a starting point.

Power = angular velocity x torque

So once you know the torque needed you can get an idea of the power needed too. You might have to compromise on speed (remember gearing trades torque for speed, but lots of gears means lots of losses too).

"measure how much torque and speed you need" good points,

First of all speed is not important for me. Fast or slow not important.

"how much torque" is very important, but how can I measure it. It soo hard for me, I trial and error.

I need 20 cm dig pit using with iron bracket. In this case needed torque depend soil type.

Any idea?

thanks...

isbora:
First of all speed is not important for me. Fast or slow not important.

Wrong thinking - you need to ask what actual speed you need - this is a number
you need to work out, “fast”, “slow” are meaningless in the context, you need to
know how slow you are prepared to go. 10rpm? 1rpm? 0.0001 rpm?

“how much torque” is very important, but how can I measure it. It soo hard for me, I trial and error.

You need to measure a force and a distance - not so hard.

Read up about estimating torque, there are many ways to do it.

I need 20 cm dig pit using with iron bracket. In this case needed torque depend soil type.

Yes, that’s why you have to measure the torque in the most adverse conditions.

Don't underestimate the amount of power required to dig a hole in the ground. When you put your foot on a shovel and give it a shove you are applying more than your body weight down.

Now take the same shovel and slowly put your body weight on it and it might just sit there on the surface not even cutting through the sod. Going straight down is not the best approach.

All the torque in the world is not going to help unless you have some heavy weight behind it.

An excavator takes this force and translates it horizontally mostly. Digging with bucket curl. The weight of the machine and the friction between the tracks and the ground allow the bucket to curl through the ground. The machine is the anchor. A 15 horsepower excavator (very small) needs about 2 tons weight to be useful.

You will probably find that even a small machine might need few hundred pounds of weight to be able to dig properly. All depends on the soil though.