Home Automation System Components

Hi,
I am interested in designing a smart home control system which allow people control their home devices by voice command at home. And I want it to be a Wireless/Bluetooth, voice control system and I want to develop an application for the smart home system and setting up it in an Android smart cellphone . People could control almost all the facilities at home including:
1- Lighting control
2- Fans,
3- Doors and Windows (Open, Close , Lock)
4- HVAC (Heating, ventilation and air conditioning)
5- Shade & Blind Controllers
6- TV
7- Sensors (Weather sensors, Motion sensor, Fire sensor, Smoke sensor, Gas sensor)
8- CCTV, Security and alarm systems
9- Water Control System
10-Servo Motor
11-Garage Door Controls

Really I'm totally new in this field. So, I would be very grateful if you tell me the list of all the components that are required for this project which are compatible with each other to build such a system. I want the whole project is to be based on the Arduino platform, if it's possible.

Many thanks in advance.

There are really too many controlling component. Its better to go with Arduino Mega2560 or arduiono due.

Since arduino mega price is almost expensive you might need to design your own. since you are doing first time you can directly go with board itself.

SO i will recommend Check the output of each permater whether they are AC or DC control system.

Once you get list. make list of sensor which are analog output.like temperature sensor, humidity sensor

Then come to communication: Bluetooth/wireless/Serial/Modbus etc

Draw one architecture containing arduino mega as controller & sensor specification as other part connecting it.

For example if you wanna control a Fan/ motor you need to have motor controller driver between motor & MCU. So list out No of Ios required

for Ex: PWM means 1 PWM, 2 digital Io change direction , 3 controlling speed etc.

Once you make all list post here. Then we will suggest which interface module need to go

Board wise i recommend go with Arduino Mega.

So think about your budget @ intial stage because project you thinking might be expensive for single process.

List

1. Ac & DC interfaces
  2. No of digital Ios & analog Ios
  3. No of communication IOS
  4. No of status Led /fault detection if any
    5)Motor rating & motor specification & driver used

Zanov:
Hi,
I am interested in designing a smart home control system which allow people control their home devices by voice command at home. And I want it to be a Wireless/Bluetooth, voice control system and I want to develop an application for the smart home system and setting up it in an Android smart cellphone . People could control almost all the facilities at home including:
1- Lighting control
2- Fans,
3- Doors and Windows (Open, Close , Lock)
4- HVAC (Heating, ventilation and air conditioning)
5- Shade & Blind Controllers
6- TV
7- Sensors (Weather sensors, Motion sensor, Fire sensor, Smoke sensor, Gas sensor)
8- CCTV, Security and alarm systems
9- Water Control System
10-Servo Motor
11-Garage Door Controls

Really I'm totally new in this field. So, I would be very grateful if you tell me the list of all the components that are required for this project which are compatible with each other to build such a system. I want the whole project is to be based on the Arduino platform, if it's possible.

Many thanks in advance.

well, definitly not a beginner project. :stuck_out_tongue:

It is possible, as long as you are aware of all the work which is to be done with such a project.

• You will need a server device which will handle/store all the data; Maybe a RasPI with XAMP Setup
  • which board to take? depends on how many Sensors/actuators are needed per MCU; make some considerations on the topology!
  • Further you have to think about how all the devices should communicate to each other (Radio, RS485, Ethernet)
  • Addressing, Communication Protocol? How will you address the single sensor-nodes and present the data
  • Android SW; Maybe with some sort of voicerecognition app which interprets and stores the commands into a DB or somthing similar.
  • reliability?

I posted some code exaples and my considerations on something similar on my Blog.