How best I connect floor lamp to relay ?

Hi there , I hope you are doing well

I have a question is there a way to connect any device that work with high voltage to relay , instead of cut the wire and connect it to COM and NO or NC ?

Like this

another question is there any attribute should I take care when I connect a device to relay?

current , power ?

I just want to connect floor lamp

last question where I can find good relay with 2 and 4 channel online?

Thanks a lot

Safest way is to use a wireless power outlet.
Choose one that also can be controlled with an Arduino, e.g. a 315Mhz of 433Mhz model.
Leo..

Instead of cutting lamp's cord you can buy an extension cord. Cut it same way as shown on a picture. And then you can just a plug lamp in it or anything else.

Why do I always get nervous giving advice about mains power.

...I was going to say the same thing... Use an extension cord. Or, you might might be able to fit the relay into an outlet box, like you have in the walls in your home. They are inexpensive at the home improvement store. Again, you can cut-off one end of an extension cord to feed power into the box.

Or, you can build the whole project into an electrical project box and use something like [u]this[/u] and [u]this[/u].

current , power ?

There are two "sides" to the relay and they have different specs.

The coil is probably rated for 5V and several milliamps. Those specs are "exact" and that's what's required to activate the relay. But, since your picture shows a relay board, the signal required from the Arduino is 5V at a couple of milliamps and the actual power to operate the coil is connected separately.

The contacts are probably rated at something like 250V and 10 Amps. That's a maximum rating, so for example it's OK to use it for 12V and 1 Amp. Here in the U.S. where we have 120VAC, a 100 Watt lamp uses a little less than 1 Amp. If you live in a 240V country it's half the current for the same wattage.

Thank you guys for reply , I heard is more better to use solid-state relays especially if I want to control floor lamp with 220 VAC

there was person said " I don't know of any low-current coil 5V relays that can switch 220VAC, but they may exist. I don't know if I would use them for a project like this, though."

so is it too danger to use coil 5V relays ?

I'm sorry if my questions is too stupid .

See “power switch tail”.

https://www.google.com/search?rlz=1C9BKJA_enCA832CA832&q=power+switch+tail&tbm=isch&source=univ&hl=en-US&fir=OibvtQtMGO7HMM%253A%252Cvmk1oCcijzsi0M%252C_%253BNorcO3awB16aXM%253A%252Cvmk1oCcijzsi0M%252C_%253BTnZDBELEusX0cM%253A%252CSAR4omwTMB1tqM%252C_%253BRbL0PtSPPHpYeM%253A%252CsLc3ZK0NqCmD9M%252C_%253B_MnYqg7782nY8M%253A%252C0pUUXp2-b3E1BM%252C_%253BFkR8DaI2LmznEM%253A%252CSAR4omwTMB1tqM%252C_%253BCj1gvUmQBHomaM%253A%252CfAJZIgr8iVOnjM%252C_%253BsDeRUEWCUSs0zM%253A%252CIdOjCeJno1vC5M%252C_%253BXW-6scKBrDmIZM%253A%252CfAJZIgr8iVOnjM%252C_%253B41-8qaO9ZPKZuM%253A%252CGFr8B58qBC5-WM%252C_&usg=AI4_-kSb7cwDCjmoHVMZnikjLezwpz9wKQ&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwjY1dTLuYLhAhVaCTQIHYtoBDEQsAR6BAgJEAE&biw=1024&bih=728

It's just a relay

just safely tucked in a box with no wires to cut.

so is it too danger to use coil 5V relays ?

It is safe… As long as you wire it correctly and you don't touch the parts connected to the power line. :wink:

In a relay the coil and contacts are electrically isolated so there is no electrical connection between the coil and the contacts. The coil is an electo-magnet that operates a switch. [u]How relays work[/u].

Solid state relays use an LED and a photo-sensitive semiconductor, so again there is no electrical connection between the "input" and "output".

[u]This industrial-type[/u] of solid state relay is super-easy to wire-up with screw terminals and easy to mount (although they are bulky). That particular solid state relay can be directly operated from an Arduino I/O pin.

The problem with solid state relays is that the datasheets usually say you need a large heatsink for more that about 5A in open air, so it could be lower depending on where you are mounting it.
Also there are a lot of fakes available (usually a lower current item relabelled as a more expensive higher current rating)

If you’re using solidstate make sure you get one designed for AC.

Use a powertail simple, easy.

I think I'm going with Power Switch Tail , it's greet and easy to use ! but I have't seen any works with more than 120vac

Thank you guys for recommendations and helping

Kernel:
I think I'm going with Power Switch Tail , it's greet and easy to use ! but I have't seen any works with more than 120vac

Usually the relays in the power tail have a dual voltage rating. For 220-240 rate it for half the current for 110-120 rating. There is a relay internally and should show it...

wolframore:
Usually the relays in the power tail have a dual voltage rating. For 220-240 rate it for half the current for 110-120 rating. There is a relay internally and should show it...

I just found one website that sells switch works for both , but it's out of stock unfortunately :frowning:

Did you understand post#1.
Wireless power outlets are <=US$6 if you buy them in a 3-pack or 5-pack.
A $1 433Mhz transmitter connected to any Arduino can control one or all of them.
Safe and easy.
Leo..

DVDdoug:
Or, you might might be able to fit the relay into an outlet box, like you have in the walls in your home. They are inexpensive at the home improvement store.

There's enough room for a single relay board, maybe a double, behind an ac socket in the blue plastic boxes.

Make sure you don't use a cord with a loose grounding wire wrapped around the three conductors :o :fearful: . . . not that I have first hand experience of that causing a short and blowing the trace off the board . . . :roll_eyes:

Also, the single relay boards don't seem to have the opto-isolaters that the multi-relay boards have.

Wawa:
Did you understand post#1.
Wireless power outlets are <=US$6 if you buy them in a 3-pack or 5-pack.
A $1 433Mhz transmitter connected to any Arduino can control one or all of them.
Safe and easy.
Leo..

yes I did , but the Idea I want to use relay instead of IR

thanks

The relay is safely hidden inside the wireless power outlet.
And the Arduino can control them (more than one) with a 315Mhz or 433Mhz radio signal (not IR).
Call it a "wireless power tail" if you want.
Leo..