How many volts do I need to create a electric pen?

I want to create something simmilar to a electric pen. The thing is, I dont know how many volts i need. (The 9 volts battery can be felt only by putting your tongue on it. It does nothing to your hand)

Please provide some detail (link?) to what you want to build.

Weedpharma

Hi, If you are thinking of an etching pen, to write on metal surfaces, you are in the wrong forum. Have you googled?

Thanks Tom... :)

weedpharma: Please provide some detail (link?) to what you want to build.

Weedpharma

How many V should a piece of metal to have so when someone touches it (and the ground) to get an electric shock?

It’s a lot easier to shock someone after you stab them. Skin is a real good insulator.

Do you want to use a single piece of metal, or two poles like a battery?

With a single piece the electrostatic effect also depends on its capacitance (Q=C*U), and how well you are grounded.

I'll give you some hints, but this isn't something I'd recommend as it could be dangerous, since you don't know what you're doing and even if done correctly you might kill someone with an unknown heart condition or other unknown medical condition...

How many V should a piece of metal to have so when someone touches it (and the ground) to get an electric shock?

I think those things usually generate more than 1000V (at low-limited current). An inductor is used with a or a switching circuit because when you switch-off the supply voltage you get a high voltage [u]inductive kick[/u]. (That's how you get thousands of volts for a spark plug from a 12V car battery.)

(and the ground)

You won't get any current to true-earth ground unless you have a [u]complete circuit[/u] between the pen and the ground so there will be no voltage between the pen and ground and it won't work. And a wire from the pen to ground would sort-of give away the prank.

The pen needs multiple contacts to make a complete circuit between the fingers.

Earth and the metal piece form a capacitor. A connection between both will let flow current until the capacitor is discharged, An isolated human body also can form the other plate of the capacitor, but since its capacity is much lower than that of the earth, less energy is exchanged until that capacitor is discharged.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQiXF07i4gc

and it's not just about volts, the ones you buy just use an AA or AAA alkaline 1.5V

and it's not just about volts, the ones you buy just use an AA or AAA alkaline 1.5V

It's ALL about the volts... You can't feel 1.5V... If it runs off a battery there's an inductor to boost the voltage.

softt: I want to create something simmilar to a electric pen. The thing is, I dont know how many volts i need. (The 9 volts battery can be felt only by putting your tongue on it. It does nothing to your hand)

if your pen is for writing on paper, then the paper will not care how many volts.

if it is for writing on skin, we here in the U.S. call that a tatoo. http://tinyurl.com/gtau82c

dave-in-nj: if your pen is for writing on paper, then the paper will not care how many volts.

if it is for writing on skin, we here in the U.S. call that a tatoo. http://tinyurl.com/gtau82c

Bro. The pen was just an example. I was talking about those prank pens that when you try to press the button you get shocked.

softt: Bro. The pen was just an example. I was talking about those prank pens that when you try to press the button you get shocked.

And what you're getting is pretty much the standard response when someone asks about hurting someone with something that could be dangerous. Really this is one of those places where if you have to ask then you shouldn't be messing with it lest someone gets hurt.

There is a rather unspoken rule that if someone wants to do something so stupid and put either their life in danger or the life of someone else, or something so devious as to damage others properties, well. we do not get involved.

why ? because most of us already know enough lawyers and making a coffee warmer for a car reminds us of Stella Linebeck and McDonalds.

the best case is that the poster is unsuccessful and takes up a hobby like knife throwing. the worst case is that, like Stella, people remember us for decades. now, if we were running for president of the USA, we would be immune from any ramifications, but the law punishes those of us without connections.

now about the 'other thing' when you ask a question, state your request so others can understand what you are saying.

Internally implanted defibrillators and pace makers are becoming quite common, even in fairly young people. These units could interact with your voltage, and perhaps be damaged, or worse, cause an unintended control regimen applied to someone's heart. That could lead to very serious charges against you. Electrocuting bugs is fun, but try not electrocute yourself while doing it.

dave-in-nj: There is a rather unspoken rule that if someone wants to do something so stupid and put either their life in danger or the life of someone else, or something so devious as to damage others properties, well. we do not get involved.

why ? because most of us already know enough lawyers and making a coffee warmer for a car reminds us of Stella Linebeck and McDonalds.

the best case is that the poster is unsuccessful and takes up a hobby like knife throwing. the worst case is that, like Stella, people remember us for decades. now, if we were running for president of the USA, we would be immune from any ramifications, but the law punishes those of us without connections.

now about the 'other thing' when you ask a question, state your request so others can understand what you are saying.

dave-in-nj: There is a rather unspoken rule that if someone wants to do something so stupid and put either their life in danger or the life of someone else, or something so devious as to damage others properties, well. we do not get involved.

How is a electric pen dangerous? Kids are buying these things. For example, the one I have works only on a single battery.

softt: How is a electric pen dangerous? Kids are buying these things. For example, the one I have works only on a single battery.

Yes, but those are built by people who know what they're doing and can be relatively safe about it. The fact that you are asking this question at all means that you are not one of those people.

If you want one so bad then you should buy one. That will most assuredly be cheaper anyway.

softt: How is a electric pen dangerous? Kids are buying these things. For example, the one I have works only on a single battery.

Then you can read the battery to figure out the voltage :)

What is an electric pen for?

...R

Delta_G: Yes, but those are built by people who know what they're doing and can be relatively safe about it. The fact that you are asking this question at all means that you are not one of those people.

If you want one so bad then you should buy one. That will most assuredly be cheaper anyway.

Yeah bro. You are right. I cant risk getting shocked by a 9V batter. Better safe than sorry. Thanks!