How to log Arduino output when not connected to a PC.

I have simple question that I hope someone here would be able to help me answer. I have a small robot that I have build using an arduino. I bought a kit from Amazon to get my feet wet in the arduino robotics world. This is the link to the kit. https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01DPH0SWY?psc=1 I have the robot completed, however, I would like to not only see the log window when the arduino is connected to my computer and I run the program/code, I would also like to see the log steps when my robot is disconnected from the computer and is performing the steps in code - Is that possible? do I need to buy some kind of arduino extender so that I can perhaps use wifi as way to communicate with the Arduino wirelessly and perhaps log the steps. I'm looking to be able to debug my code while the robot is actually running.

Yes. I'm becoming more and more of a fan of the esp8266 for wifi comms. There are other types of radio, but wifi is probably easiest to deal with from the PC side of things.

Thanks Delta G,
So can I just buy that board and connected to my arduino using available pins? Sorry for the noob question, I’m just trying to understand how to use it and what to buy. Do you know if I buy it than would there be an interface for it to connect to my wireless router?

You could store the data on SD, and thus not be connected to anything.

miguel83: Thanks Delta G, So can I just buy that board and connected to my arduino using available pins? Sorry for the noob question, I'm just trying to understand how to use it and what to buy. Do you know if I buy it than would there be an interface for it to connect to my wireless router?

You have to write code for it. But if all you want to do is use it to connect and send data then there are several examples you can just copy. You hook it up to Arduino using the Serial pins, or I2C if you want. Whatever you send to it on that line goes out over the network. You can program it to serve a webpage, or to just connect to a socket and stream the data.

A simpler way might be to simply buy a pair of wireless serial adaptors like these. If I understand correctly, it appears to the Arduino and PC that they are connected with a usb cable. Not sure if sketch upload can be done also using these modules.
s-l1600-2.jpg

Thanks Paul RB. I actually end up buying a blue tooth sensor and using putty as a way to log. While the robot is moving. I really appreciate your response I'm going to buy these anyways it looks like this will become handy.