How to make an rfid sensor turn on an LED

Hi guys/girls,

I'm trying to invent a circuit that will turn in an LED (or buzzer) whenever I walk past if you know of any codes and parts can you please help me!

Thank you, Jack Allen :)

JackAllen28:
Hi guys/girls,

I’m trying to invent a circuit that will turn in an LED (or buzzer) whenever I walk past if you know of any codes and parts can you please help me!

Thank you, Jack Allen :slight_smile:

How nice that you are non-gender specific but if my YouTube channel is a benchmark then less than 2% of respondents here will be girls. Sad, I know, but true. :’(

Now, the TITLE of your post indicates you already have had an idea of what might work (an RFID reader) but your post indicates otherwise.

So I can tell you that it’s unlikely that a hobbyist RFID reader will have the range to read any RFID card or fob on your person unless you literally brush it up against the reader. See my video #34 all about RFID stuff to get an idea.

So what could work? Here’s my 2 cents’ worth:

1. Ultrasonic detector (just like a burglar alarm PIR)
  2. Infra-red detector (ditto)
  3. Light beam detector (a variation of #2 I suppose) used in supermarket checkout to stop your shopping running into the cashier
  4. Weight detector (eg something on the floor that you step on), once again from the burglar detection arena
  5. A Smartphone running an app that connects to the ‘device’ you are walking past and bleeps (but it would detect you at 30 feet so maybe not)

Give us more of a clue as to the problem you’re trying to solve, and if it’s just a school homework project best not to mention that too loudly :smiley_cat:

Lots more video suggestions on my YouTube channel so mosey along, URL in the footer of this tongue-in-cheek post.

Hi, I need help choosing the right component for the job. I need to have a transmitter on me and a receiver on a post. When I walk within 2.5 meters of the post i need it to trigger. I cannot have the transmitter transmit longer than 2.5 meters. Any ideas? I need the arduino to trigger only with me.

Any suggestions appreciated!

ultra sonic transmitter receiver?? Set to a particular distance for the trip. Much the same as garage parking.

I need it to only sense me. The ultrasonic sensor would be triggered by everything

Hi, Welcome to the forum.

Please read the first post in any forum entitled how to use this forum. http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php/topic,148850.0.html.

Do you need to press a button on the Tx to activate the Rx?

If not then the TX will need to be ON continuously or pulsing on every couple of seconds to preserve battery life.

Tom... :)

JackAllen28: I need it to only sense me. The ultrasonic sensor would be triggered by everything

Then put it in your initial request. We cannot read minds here. Anything else you forgot/failed to mention?

Hi, Did you look at the responses to your request 2 years ago?

http://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=402186.0

Tom.. :)

Yes I was just trying to get a large range of opinions

Excellent. That makes this part easy... threads merged.

Perhaps a logical AND of Bluetooth LE hardware address detection and an ultrasonic range sensor or PIR. Every BLE device has a unique hardware address so an Arduino with BLE can detect when your phone, assuming it has BLE, is near. Sound the alarm when BLE hardware address detected AND range sensor or PIR triggers.

If possible reduce the range of BLE so your phone must be close to the post. For example, intentionally degrade the BLE antenna which is probably just traces on the PCB. This reduces the chances a false trigger.

Thanks Very Much