How To use ATMEGA32 Minimum system board avr core board Development Board

Hi,

I just received this ATMEGA32 Minimum system board avr core board Development Board.

I am a bit lazy to search for information on how to use it with Arduino IDE, and maybe other users might be interested in this as well.

I have STlink-V2, Arduinos usable as ArduinoISP, USB to serial e.g. 2104 ...

Do I just need additional board manager URL and burn a bootloader?

Thank you for hints or links!

Jean-Marc Zingg

Is Arduino detect a COM port when you plug your board ?

Else you need to buy a USBtinyISP to burn Leonardo bootloader through ISP pin located on the board.

(deleted)

I suspect the USB socket is only to supply power.

You can add support for ATmega32 with MightyCore: https://github.com/MCUdude/MightyCore

After installing that, you can just plug your ISP programmer into the appropriate header and burn the bootloader, then connect up your USB to serial adapter to do serial uploads and serial prints.

@arduiko

Windows reports invalid device detected, hence no bootloader yet.

Thank you for the information, I will burn Leonardo bootloader. I should have known that the Leonardo has the same chip; I have also a Pro Micro, but forgot how I tested it.

@spycatcher2k

Of course I searched with Google, but mostly got old or outdated information.

I am sure you are experienced and would have been able to give valuable information.

ZinggJM: I should have known that the Leonardo has the same chip;

It's absolutely not the same chip. The Leonardo uses the ATmega32U4. Your board has the ATmega32. They might look similar but actually there is a world of difference. The ATmega32 is more closely related to the ATmega1284, which is a more commonly used chip in the Arduino world than the ATmega32.

pert: I suspect the USB socket is only to supply power.

You can add support for ATmega32 with MightyCore: https://github.com/MCUdude/MightyCore

After installing that, you can just plug your ISP programmer into the appropriate header and burn the bootloader, then connect up your USB to serial adapter to do serial uploads and serial prints.

Thank you!

I looked through the list of unofficial 3rd party boards in the meantime and saw MightyCore as closest candidate.

I dared to ask this question to get such confirmation.

Jean-Marc

(deleted)

pert:
I suspect the USB socket is only to supply power.

You can add support for ATmega32 with MightyCore:
GitHub - MCUdude/MightyCore: Arduino hardware package for ATmega1284, ATmega644, ATmega324, ATmega324PB, ATmega164, ATmega32, ATmega16 and ATmega8535

Burning bootloader was successful, serial download works, Blink example works.

USB seems connected but unknown on Windows 10, will find out.
Learning how to use this processor and processor board will follow.

Thank you for helping me get started with this board.

Jean-Marc

Is there anything on the bottom of that board? There's no on-board serial adapter on the top of the board, so if not on the bottom, it's not there (and the USB port is presumably power only).

DrAzzy:
Is there anything on the bottom of that board? There’s no on-board serial adapter on the top of the board, so if not on the bottom, it’s not there (and the USB port is presumably power only).

There is nothing on the bottom, but the data signals seem connected to the processor. I will have to look at the processor specs, if it supports USB like the 32U4 or 16U2.
Because, if only power would be connected, Windows would not report unknown device.

If the processor supports USB, then the next question would be if there exists a bootloader like for Leonardo.

I usually work with other processors and am not so familiar with the Atmel processors.

The ATmega32 doesn't have native USB support. It is possible to do USB emulation in software so maybe that's what the board designer intended. The related bootloader I'm aware of is the one used on the Adafruit Trinket, which makes it appear as a USBtinyISP for uploading purposes. I think there's something like it on the digispark, which is called MicroNucleus. Both of those boards are ATtiny based (ATtiny85 I believe). I don't see the motivation for doing the same on the ATmega32 solely for the sake of uploading since the CH340 is pretty cheap but it could be a good board if you specifically want to play around with software USB emulation.

From the photos of that board, it looks like it has the zener-diodes on the USB port that would be needed to support the software-emulation of USB (like V-USB. But like Pert said, I don't know of any bootloaders that implement that on an ATmega32, nor any Arduino cores designed to make use of it.

(In addition to Trinket and Digispark attiny-85 boards, software emulation of USB is also used by the popular AVRISP programmer clones.) Note that these tend to support bootloading OR programming, but don't do serial emulation...

It certainly seems easiest to use the USB only for power, and use an ISP Programmer (Arduino running the ArduinoISP sketch) for programming. (or use that to put on the mightycore bootloader, and add a USB/Serial adapter)

@pert, @westfw,

Thank you for this additional information!

I ordered this Atmega32 board out of curiosity; this just happens to me again and again.
I am pleased that it can be used with the Arduino IDE.

Burning a bootloader using ArduinoISP, and then using a USB to Serial adapter for program upload is convenient enough.

I do not yet know what I will use this board for, but having a board with some keys and LEDs is nice.
I think I will connect a small SPI TFT to it.

Jean-Marc

I prefer the ATmega1284P but the ATmega32 is available in the same easy to solder DIP-40 package for a much lower price. I have a few of them and maybe I’ll use it in a project one day when I need a lot of IO but not so much memory as the ATmega1284P provides. It’s wonderful that we have good Arduino support for the chip provided by MightyCore.

They sell another style of “ATmega32 Minimum System Board” which has a ZIF socket for the DIP-40 package (actually you can use it for any of that AVR family). The price is pretty good but I haven’t ended up using it much due to the lack of an onboard serial programming interface or an FTDI header. I have a homemade DIP-40 AVR dev board made from stripboard and the MCUdude board that are more convenient even though their regular IC socket makes it not quite so easy to swap chips as the ZIF.