Human history of advancement of things. Robot to BLE beacon with a button click

Why
Are you a person who tired that their life and freedom were taken away by mundane repetitive task?
If yes, I have a product for you.

also this for my final year project.

Problem statement
modern AGVs in the market requires training which cost days

Goal
accelerate AGV training using Bluetooth 5.1 technology direction finder.

Components
robot:

beacon:

Bluetooth 5.1 Module:
https://my.mouser.com/new/rigado/rigado-bmd-360-eval-kit/
https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/r/rigado/bmd-360-bluetooth-5-1

Exclude:
GPS, SLAM, 3D Mapping, Wifi, IR, Ultrasonic.

Price
Budget US$200 (If you need more, just ask for more).
I can do downpayment of US$100 if you can prove to me that it could work in a video.

Result
Result of this project will be open-source. The code will be GPL v2 and available on Github.

About
Azahari is studying mechatronics( Diploma in Engineering Technology(mechatronics) )

Put the bluetooth module in a tin can with the opening forward. The can will reject most signals from back and lateral of its opening, so strongest signal will be when the beacon is somewhere ahead.

See cantenna cantenna - Google Search
It doesn't need to be precisely the tuned size/dimensions, any tin container will give more or less forward directivity.

Go look at Roomba chargers.

Why
Are you a person who tired that their life and freedom were taken away by mundane repetitive task?
If yes, I have a product for you.

Components
robot:

beacon:

Bluetooth 5.1 Module:
https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/r/rigado/bmd-360-bluetooth-5-1

Price
Budget US$200 (If you need more, just ask for more).
I can do downpayment of US$100 if you can prove to me that it could work in a video.

Result
Result of this project will be open-source. The code will be GPL v2 and available on Github.

About
Azahari is studying mechatronics( Diploma in Engineering Technology(mechatronics) )

Quote from: lastchancename on Today at 06:06 pm
Go look at Roomba chargers.
No infrared, just Bluetooth signal strength. thank you.

Same problem.

I recently found this,
Autonomous Homing Robot (Radio Direction Finding)

I prefer bluetooth beacon because of regulations and standards.

azahari:
The year 2020 is next year, why does the average home doesn't have a robot that can move heavy items from one place to another with a push of a button?

I have to question your premise. How often do you need to move heavy items around the home? How heavy? A ton? 90lbs? Is it the size of a couch or the size of a Sony Wega TV? What will this robot do that a $20 furniture dolly or a $50 hand truck can't?

I mean, putting technology aside for a moment (something the users of this site hate to do), what are you really trying to accomplish here? Might want to address that before getting bogged down in Bluetooth modules.

I'm not trying to be negative: I spend a lot of time on a weekly/daily basis moving heavy things and I've given the matter a lot of thought. But I live on a farm and that's where the heavy things I need to move are, not in the house. There are lots of existing solutions, but many of them are lacking in one way or another depending on your individual situation.

Well, to answer your original question, I can think of a few.

1. RSSI is not reliable for distance, even less for direction. You can never be sure that the strongest signal you find looking around is the direction the beacon is in, it can very well be a reflection.
  2. other objects that are in the way and the robot has to navigate around, keeping the dimensions of this "heavy object" in mind.
  3. the need of placing this "heavy object" on the robot in a safe way, so it won't fall off or hit other objects en route.
  4. the great variety of sizes and shapes "heavy object"s tend to come in.
  5. obstacles like stairs (even an issue for highly advanced Daleks!), thresholds/doorsteps, etc.
    I'm sure there are more reasons.
    Why do you think "follow me" luggage is also still not there? That's a simpler problem to solve, as the moving object itself is so well defined.

wvmarle:
Well, to answer your original question, I can think of a few.

1. RSSI is not reliable for distance, even less for direction. You can never be sure that the strongest signal you find looking around is the direction the beacon is in, it can very well be a reflection.
  2. other objects that are in the way and the robot has to navigate around, keeping the dimensions of this “heavy object” in mind.
  3. the need of placing this “heavy object” on the robot in a safe way, so it won’t fall off or hit other objects en route.
  4. the great variety of sizes and shapes "heavy object"s tend to come in.
  5. obstacles like stairs (even an issue for highly advanced Daleks!), thresholds/doorsteps, etc.
    I’m sure there are more reasons.
    Why do you think “follow me” luggage is also still not there? That’s a simpler problem to solve, as the moving object itself is so well defined.

For now, I’m focusing on coding this

Pseudocode:
otomoov switched on
rotate 360 degrees. measures and records BLE signal strength
360 degrees rotation complete
determine angle with highest signal strength(eg: 30 degrees)
turns 30 degrees.
end

To all coders who comprehend what I’m saying, feel free PM me your price.

Coding that is pretty easy.

How are you going to make that receiver directional?

wvmarle:
Coding that is pretty easy.

How are you going to make that receiver directional?

The idea is,

as you can see, this is what I imagine how it would find its direction. There's a distance between the center of the robot and the receiver. When it is switched on, it rotates 360degress finding which angle has the highest signal strength. Then after it did a full rotation, it then turns to the angle which has the highest signal strength

Could you code something like that?

Do you have a highly directional antenna working already?

How do you plan to measure the distance to be travelled - as in distance between robot and beacon?

It seems you didn't install the encoders. How to tell how much a wheel turned, and with it an indication of how much the robot rotated?

What is your expected accuracy in direction for your robot?

wvmarle:
Do you have a highly directional antenna working already?

How do you plan to measure the distance to be travelled - as in distance between robot and beacon?

It seems you didn't install the encoders. How to tell how much a wheel turned, and with it an indication of how much the robot rotated?

What is your expected accuracy in direction for your robot?

1. Still working on the cantenna
  2. Predetermined decibel-milliwatts number, eg: 4dbm. Therefore once it reaches 4dbm, stop.
    Understanding Wireless Range Calculations | Electronic Design
  3. accelerometer module, do you have any recommendation?
  4. Max 5 meters, 360 data points, about ~10cm error.

azahari:

1. Still working on the cantenna

You'll have to get that done, first. Then do experiments: rotate it by hand, record RSSI values in various environments. See whether it's even a reliable way of determining the direction (you WILL see peaks in odd directions due to reflections in a normal home type environment with furniture, walls, people, and other stuff present).

1. Predetermined decibel-milliwatts number, eg: 4dbm. Therefore once it reaches 4dbm, stop.
    Understanding Wireless Range Calculations | Electronic Design

Sounds highly unreliable. Do experiment with it, get the data.

1. accelerometer module, do you have any recommendation?

Perfectly unreliable for measuring quantity of rotation. Use a magnetic compass. Dead reckoning using encoders on the wheels also works quite well for a two-wheeled robot. You can use the same encoders to keep the thing going more or less in a straight line.

1. Max 5 meters, 360 data points, about ~10cm error.

Then your direction has to be accurate to 1°. I'd be seriously surprised if you can reliably find the direction within 10°. You'll have to stop and search a few times as the signal drops because your angle is getting too large as you move.

I don't know how to code Arduino(I do know how to code simple c program with codeblocks, if else, switch, etc). Therefore:

1. Flat 5m square. (Simple empty floor, no obstacle)
  2. Start rough, refine later. (I'm a beginner)
  3. Compass, you mean like this? 3-Axis Digital Compass Breakout Board
  4. Skip correction, for now, I want the code to be as simple as possible. (I have poor programming logic)

A stop-motion animation to further elaborate my idea.

Again, start experimenting. Without data on the actual performance of your hardware it's not sensible to start coding a full robot.

And yes, a compass like that. Or simply use encoders.

Got it

To do list:

1. Install Compass
  2. Experiment
  3. Measure hardware performance
  4. Collect Data
  5. Revise the pseudocode and flowchart.

Thank you very much.

P.S. I wish someone else already made something very similar so can skip coding and start building the robot. :smiley:

This is interesting,
Angle of Arrival - Bluetooth 5.1 Direction Finding Explanation

It could simplify my project.

Updates

robot kit + Rigado BMD-360-EVAL Evaluation Kit + iTag Bluetooth tracker
This is the setup I've decided to drive this project forward.

About Rigado BMD-360-EVAL Evaluation Kit

Rigado BMD-360-EVAL Evaluation Kit is a great starting point for Bluetooth 5.1 Low Energy projects. The kit allows easy access to all features of the BMD-360. A simple USB connection provides power, programming, and a virtual COM port.

Four user buttons, four LEDs and a reset button are available. All GPIO are available on headers and are compatible with the Arduino form factor. This allows easy use of any existing Arduino shields. Current sense resistors allow for measuring current into the BMD-3xx module and into the shield.

Now to the topic of $$$
How much? PM me your price. Video evidence will be prioritized.

Could you please write what you want to be done? And what should be delivered in what time?