I am 0xFF I should be 0x71 onMPU9250

So I just purchased the MPU9250 and tried to run kriswiner script but I am getting this message.

MPU9250 I AM 0xFF I should be 0x71
Could not connect to MPU9250: 0xFF

He replied to someone else stating they need to change the i2c.
I am a complete beginner with anything arduino so I have no idea what this means.

I would just like to see some data for the MPU9250. Thank you.

Currently the wiring looks like this:

Arduino MEGA -> MPU9250
3.3v ---------> VCC
GND ---------> GND
SLC ----------> SCL
SDA ----------> SDA

This is a very advanced project for a beginner.

We strongly recommend to work your way through the examples that come with Arduino: blink an LED, read a sensor, a voltage, a switch etc. in order to learn the programming language and the special features of the Arduino.

If you skip that step, expect endless frustration.

But to address your question, I2C communications are probably not working. That could be due to wrong I2C address, no pullup resistors on the I2C lines, bad connection(s), failed or fake sensor module, etc.

Please read and follow the instructions in the "How to use this forum" post.

jremington:
I2C communications are probably not working. That could be due to wrong I2C address, no pullup resistors on the I2C lines, bad connection(s), failed or fake sensor module, etc.

Please read and follow the instructions in the "How to use this forum" post.

I used an I2C scanner and it detected my MPU9250 at 0x68.

Yes these is a pin on the chip that allows you to select the address.

AD0/
SDO Address selection I2C Slave Address LSB (AD0):
Low: 0b1101000 ➫ 0x68
High: 0b1101001 ➫ 0x69
SPI serial data output (SDO)

Thing is this, a 3V3 device and must be powered by that voltage. Also if using it with a 5V Arduino you need to arrange things so that you only have pull up resistors to 3V3 and if your library enables the internal pull up resistors you must disable them to prevent damage to the chip.

What on Earth is the kriswiner script?

Note for a Mega you have built in pull up resistors so you must use an I2C level shift board.