I need help with my LCD display not showing any text.

Hi,

I'm having some trouble using my LCD display with my arduino Nano.

The LCD display doesn't show any text or characters at all, but is lit up.

I'm using:

Thanks for any help in advance!

Can't help without any code :confused:

tasmod:
Can’t help without any code :confused:

Whoops, here is the code:

// include the library code:
#include <LiquidCrystal.h>// initialize the library with the numbers of the interface pins – The numbers
//are the pin connected in sequence from RS to DB7
LiquidCrystal lcd(7, 6, 5, 4, 3, 2);
void setup() {
// set up the LCD’s number of columns and rows:
lcd.begin(16, 2);
// Print a message to the LCD
lcd.print(“hello, world!”);
}

void loop() {
// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
// (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
// print the number of seconds since reset:
lcd.print(“tataylino.com”);
}

It’s the code copied and pasted from the tutorial which also provided the pin layout.

Few things, please post code in the code tags.
Take off the 5v from the pot it is unneccessary.
Try turning the contrast ot to see if it shows black squares.

Define the pins and the LCD

#define LCD_RS		7
#define LCD_E		6
#define LCD_D4		5
#define LCD_D5		4
#define LCD_D6		3
#define LCD_D7		2

LiquidCrystal lcd(LCD_RS, LCD_E, LCD_D4, LCD_D5, LCD_D6, LCD_D7);       // LCD - pin assignment

This might work, although I've just come to the conclusion my pins, which I've been using to connect the LCD display don't connect if I don't apply some force. So I might have to solder them together.

Chatrennet:
Whoops, here is the code:
. . .

void loop() {
// set the cursor to column 0, line 1
// (note: line 1 is the second row, since counting begins with 0):
lcd.setCursor(0, 1);
// print the number of seconds since reset:
lcd.print(“tataylino.com”);
}

It's the code copied and pasted from the tutorial which also provided the pin layout.

No it's not. You have substituted a text phrase which never changes for the display of millis() which changes quite frequently.

Information that is displayed once and does not subsequently change should be handled in setup(). Information that changes periodically must be handled in loop().

Your real problem stems from the fact that you removed the delay from loop(). The program is sending information to the LCD too often for the LCD controller to respond.

For the purposes of getting your display functioning you really should leave loop() empty.

Don

Chatrennet:
This might work, although I've just come to the conclusion my pins, which I've been using to connect the LCD display don't connect if I don't apply some force. So I might have to solder them together.

Yes, we get this one from time to time.

So you actually have not connected anything! In that case saying that you used a certain "pin layout" is simply absurd! :astonished: Oh well ...

floresta:
Your real problem stems from the fact that you removed the delay from loop(). The program is sending information to the LCD too often for the LCD controller to respond.

No, he just confessed to the real problem! Your observation will be useful when he actually assembles something. :roll_eyes:

And yes, do not connect the potentiometer to 5 V.

Remove the wire which is connected to veritable resistor in your picture (POT) and connect it to ground ( GND) then see the LCD top 16 squires should visible color

in simple VEE connect to GND

Exactly as I said in my post. Just remove the 5v from the pot. Don't create a second ground.