ID-12LA RFID Reader (125kHz) not working

hello, my arduino buddies

I have bought all of the parts for making an RFID system to scan tags (also 125kHz), which cost me a lot of money, and I cannot get it to work. The ID-12LA is underneath the breakout board, with all pins in the correct holes.
I have not soldered the jumper wires to the breakout as they are only for prototyping.

I have attached a picture of my project, and the code that I am using.
Can anyone see anything wrong with my wiring? (Please say yes- it will stop me making myself bald.) :0
I’m using an Arduino Leonardo and ID-12LA.

###################################
The wiring is as follows:

(ID-12 → Arduino)

[blue wire, then green wire] Ground Pin 1 → Ground
[red wire] Reset Pin 2 → Pin 4
[blue wire, then green wire] FS Pin 7–> Ground
[black wire] D0 Pin 9 → Pin 5
[yellow wire] 5V Pin 11 → 5V

###################################

Perhaps you could open the image in one window and have the wiring (this page) in another for cross-referencing.
When I put a card near the reader, it doesn’t display any ID; but normal serial communication is fine when saying
Serial.write("Hello, serial"), which indicates that my micro USB cable is working correctly.

Pweese help me, pweese!

When it’s you, it works. When it’s me, it doesn’t. WHY ME???

notworking.ino (4.16 KB)

Rixterz: I have not soldered the jumper wires to the breakout as they are only for prototyping.

Not being able to ensure a tight connection can be a recipe for disaster.

Thanks for a quick reply; i will find some old wires hanging around somewhere and try those- the only problem is that i only have wires that don't fit in the holes :)

Ok. i found some little wires and soldered them to the breakout, as well as the ID-12, which does not println an ID. WatsGoinOn?

Use a multimeter to double check your connections. Write a minimal sketch to eliminate code error. Plug the device into the UART on the Arduino and simply have it blink an LED when it receives Serial data. The most important step at the moment is to determine if it is a hardware or software issue.

I’m sorry that i’m depending on you a lot, but the internet is a b*tch.

I don’t have a multimeter, and I don’t know how to blink an LED if serial data is received by the Arduino from the reader as it uses rfid.read() to do so. In addition, i don’t know if my wiring is correct.
Could you please list the wires that you would connect if you were to follow these instructions:

Thanks very much

Rixterz: I don't have a multimeter,

That's like trying to fix your car without a socket wrench.

and I don't know how to blink an LED if serial data is received by the Arduino

Look at the Serial example. Look at the blink example. Put the code that blinks the LED inside the code that reads the serial data. It's not rocket surgery.

Please don't word your replies like that- i'm being kind, for how angry i am at the time i've wasted trying to debug.

i'm not entirely sure what a socket wrench is either-i'm 15 yrs old, surprise! (that explains my limited debugging skills)

Rixterz: Please don't word your replies like that- i'm being kind, for how angry i am at the time i've wasted trying to debug.

If you're taking offense to how I am posting, then stop reading them and ignore them, or grow thicker skin.

i'm not entirely sure what a socket wrench is either-i'm 15 yrs old, surprise! (that explains my limited debugging skills)

A socket wrench is an essential tool for working on cars, much like a multimeter is an essential tool for working on electronics. If you you're trying to fix something without the proper tools, it's only going to lead to frustration.

so how do you use a multimeter to check if 16 pins are soldered correctly?

Disconnect the power, and set the multimeter to continuity testing. Touch one lead to the tip of one of the leads on the RFID reader. With the appropriate wire plugged into the Arduino, touch the other lead to the bottom of the Arduino where the pin header is soldered in.

Ok, i will buy one and get onto it. Thanks for the instructions- i sure am useless :) Which one would you suggest to buy from here: http://www.maplin.co.uk/productsearch?criteria=multimeter ?