IDE 1.6.7 Released

(Federico Fissore has left the building and no one else has posted an official announcement, so I'm putting this here.)

Release Notes:

ARDUINO 1.6.7 - 2015.12.17

[ide]
  • New arduino-builder: faster, better prototype generation and library discovery logic, and more. See Comparing 1.0.5...1.3.9 · arduino/arduino-builder · GitHub
  • Serial plotter now allows to plot multiple values at once. Thanks @henningpohl
  • New translations
  • Added support to file:// protocol for boards manager URLs
  • Portable sketchbook folder can now be any arbitrary location
  • Fixed a bug that caused Boards Manager to install the same tool twice or more, thus wasting disk space, if other cores where using tools delivered by arduino
  • Fixed various Boards manager glitches, in particular when removing a board
  • Windows: Arduino IDE icon is now in high definition, bye bye that blurry icon
  • Remote upload without SSH is now supported (allows OTA upload for many 3rd party boards). Thanks @me-no-dev.
[libraries]
  • SPI: Added SPI.transfer16(...) function to SAM core.
  • Ethernet, WiFi, SoftwareSerial: Fixed flush() behaviour:
    the flush function is no more dropping the receive buffer, as per
    1.0 API specification. Thanks @drmpf
[core]
  • Fixed wrong timings for HardwareSerial::flush() in SAM core. Thanks @borisff
  • Stream: Optional lookahead and skipChar options added to parseInt and parseFloat,
    parseFloat also support parsing floats without a leading 0,
    Stream::find(char) added to SAM. Thanks @Chris--A.
  • Leonardo/Micro (and other atmega32u4 based boards) now have SerialUSB alias for Serial
  • Leonardo now has LED_BUILTIN_RX/TX definitions in variant file. Thanks @NicoHood

Do you know if the ESP8266 board issues have been fixed in this build more importantly the libs functions ?

Giving it a pull anyway but wont have chance to play for a little while

Ballscrewbob:
Do you know if the ESP8266 board issues have been fixed in this build more importantly the libs functions ?

esp8266 still hasn't bothered to merge my pull request that fixes the problem of the libraries that always show as Type: Updatable in Library Manager when an esp8266 board is selected.

The issue of the ESP8266wifi library breaking automatic prototype generation is also not fixed and the Arduino developers don't seem to be motivated to find a solution for this anytime in the near future.

Both of these issues have simple workarounds but there may be other issues with esp8266 and Arduino IDE 1.6.7.

Thanks for the update... Looks like will be staying on 1.6.5 for a bit longer.

Additional problem.
With versions 1.6.5-RC5 and 1.6.6, simple sketches compiled OK for the Due board. After updating to 1.6.7, the Due sketch now issues a compile error but OK using the Mega2560. Reverting back to 1.6.6 and then 1.6.5-RC5 did not fix the problem. Using 1.6.6 now but the Due compile appears to be permanently broken even though the board manager has updated the libraries. What broke and how do I at least get back to my working 1.6.6?

Error message:
exec: "/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++": file does not exist

File by this name does not exist

Complete message:
Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino Due (Programming Port)"

C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -dump-prefs -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -hardware "C:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -tools "C:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -built-in-libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Xxxxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=arduino:sam:arduino_due_x_dbg -vid-pid=0X2341_0X003D -ide-version=10606 -build-path "C:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\build90e603f84658dcf370d1b68892fbcf00.tmp" -warnings=default -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Users\Xxxxx\Documents\Arduino\Projects\SonarBurstTest21\SonarBurstTest21.ino"
C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\arduino-builder -compile -logger=machine -hardware "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware" -hardware "C:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\tools-builder" -tools "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\hardware\tools\avr" -tools "C:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages" -built-in-libraries "C:\Program Files (x86)\Arduino\libraries" -libraries "C:\Users\Xxxxx\Documents\Arduino\libraries" -fqbn=arduino:sam:arduino_due_x_dbg -vid-pid=0X2341_0X003D -ide-version=10606 -build-path "C:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\build90e603f84658dcf370d1b68892fbcf00.tmp" -warnings=default -prefs=build.warn_data_percentage=75 -verbose "C:\Users\Xxxxx\Documents\Arduino\Projects\SonarBurstTest21\SonarBurstTest21.ino"
Warning: platform.txt from core 'Arduino ARM (32-bits) Boards' contains deprecated recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{build.path}/{archive_file}" "{object_file}", automatically converted to recipe.ar.pattern="{compiler.path}{compiler.ar.cmd}" {compiler.ar.flags} {compiler.ar.extra_flags} "{archive_file_path}" "{object_file}". Consider upgrading this core.
"/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++" -w -x c++ -M -MG -MP -DF_CPU=84000000L -DARDUINO=10606 -DARDUINO_SAM_DUE -DARDUINO_ARCH_SAM -D__SAM3X8E__ -mthumb -DUSB_VID=0x2341 -DUSB_PID=0x003e -DUSBCON '-DUSB_MANUFACTURER="Unknown"' '-DUSB_PRODUCT="Arduino Due"' "-IC:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.5\cores\arduino" "-IC:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\hardware\sam\1.6.5\variants\arduino_due_x" "C:\Users\Xxxxx\AppData\Local\Temp\build90e603f84658dcf370d1b68892fbcf00.tmp\sketch\SonarBurstTest21.ino.cpp"
exec: "/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++": file does not exist
Error compiling.

Additional problem.
With versions 1.6.5-RC5 and 1.6.6, simple sketches compiled OK for the Due board. After updating to 1.6.7, the Due sketch now issues a compile error but OK using the Mega2560. Reverting back to 1.6.6 and then 1.6.5-RC5 did not fix the problem. Using 1.6.6 now but the Due compile appears to be permanently broken even though the board manager has updated the libraries. What broke and how do I at least get back to my working 1.6.6?

Eddie see post #3 in the following link.

https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=363179.0

Once you have tried 1.6.6 or above it alters paths and so on.
Only way to get back to 1.6.5 is IMHO to do a FULL re-install and ONLY after a major clean up.

BTW running 1.6.7 in standalone mode also seems to make unwanted changes. I had to re-install my ESP packages as they failed to show up in 1.6.5 after trying 1.6.7 Luckily it was just a matter of putting back the line into the preferences "http://arduino.esp8266.com/stable/package_esp8266com_index.json"
and reloading the cores etc.

That was my next move. The only thing I'll save to the side is my project folder with the sketch then copy it back after reinstall. V1.6.6 worked OK after upgrading 1.6.5-RC5. I'll follow that path then stop there. V1.6.7 will have to wait until other bugs are discovered and fixed. Does this sound like a good choice?

Arctic_Eddie:
That was my next move. The only thing I'll save to the side is my project folder with the sketch then copy it back after reinstall. V1.6.6 worked OK after upgrading 1.6.5-RC5. I'll follow that path then stop there. V1.6.7 will have to wait until other bugs are discovered and fixed. Does this sound like a good choice?

Impressed you got 1.6.5 running without a full re-install. Did you do anything special (magical incantations etc) we need to know about ?

For sure save your sketches folder but on every occasion I have had to dump the libraries folder in the sketches folder as there always seems to be residual issues if I dont.

Also do you run ESP8266 boards at all ?

If you have everything running fine I would say stay at 1.6.5 myself.
Seems like only those of us who play with ESP's have major issues.

When I reverted to 1.6.5, it still failed. Had to do a full install twice. Used RevoUninstaller in carnivorous mode. The first time it found over 6500 files in the App folder but missed the library folder and preferences file as they were in MyDocs/Arduino. Had to manually delete Libraries and Preferences.txt. Having some problems getting my IDE window to look like I want. Working on that part now. When finished, will stay with 1.6.5-RC5. There weren't any extra features of 1.6.6 I needed. With 1.6.5, I was able to run two instances of the IDE at the same time with different boards, ports, and serial monitors running.

Just tried compiling for the Due after adding it through the Board Manager and it still does not work. The error message is similar but the file name is slightly different.

arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: C:\Users\Root2\AppData\Local\Temp\build6285884208241182603.tmp/core/syscalls_sam3.c.o: No such file or directory
arm-none-eabi-gcc: error: C:\Users\Root2\AppData\Local\Temp\build6285884208241182603.tmp/core.a: No such file or directory
Error compiling.

Not sure what to do now. May have to give up on the Due or maybe install 1.6.6 from virgin state. Will try rebooting first.

PS
It appears to be a new path problem. I'm wondering if the Due board package only works with 1.6.6 or newer. Since it doesn't work now, it won't cost anything to update to 1.6.6. If it fails then I'll just nuke the whole mess and start over.

PSS
That sort of worked. The blink sketch compiles and uploads but my simple sketch does not. Here's the error.

C:\Users\Root2\AppData\Local\Temp\build90e603f84658dcf370d1b68892fbcf00.tmp/core\core.a: could not read symbols: File in wrong format

collect2.exe: error: ld returned 1 exit status

exit status 1
Error compiling.

Guess the next trick is to nuke the install and go directly to 1.6.6.

Is the auto-save after compiling still default?? This messed up a sketch I played around. Please disable this by default.

I've always had that turned off. If it doesn't compile or upload then I don't want my previous code overwritten since it likely worked. I only save source after successful compile and upload.

PS
Now back to original error. Looks like a version problem depending which IDE you have and the board libraries you're trying to use.

exec: "C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\arduino\tools\arm-none-eabi-gcc\4.8.3-2014q1/bin/arm-none-eabi-g++": file does not exist
Error compiling.

The /bin/arm-none-eabi-g++ is missing so there is a bug when trying to add the Due to the later versions of the IDE. That file does not exist on my system. I really wonder how it worked when I had 1.6.5 running. Either the file was there or the path called for a different version.

If search the old install files and C:\ directly. The file does not exist so the path is wrong, wherever it is generated. The error may be coming from the board manager installed library using the wrong compiler.

I think I'm done for the day as my brain hurts. Here a summary of what I've seen so far.

The board package available today, may have changed recently, for the Due and Zero are not compatible with IDE versions 1.6.5, 1.6.6, and 1.6.7 due to a missing /bin/arm-none-eabi-g++. A previous version of the Due may have been available when it worked with the first two versions of the IDE. The Teensy 3.2 package is compatible with the first two but will not install with the latest. That may be because the Teensy people are not aware of 1.6.7.

My solution will be.
Stay with 1.6.5-rc5 and Teensy 3.2 as it will solve my two problems. I wanted to test a feature on the Due only because I happened to have one of the first ones available. When this is sorted out, I'll move on to 1.6.6 and 1.6.7 but might delay or skip on the latest until someone else finds the bugs.

[Solved]
Brain pain subsided long enough to run a couple of tests. I mentioned earlier that my previous success may have been because I used an earlier version of the Due board using the manager. I started installing earlier versions and when going back two to V1.64, it works fine, compiled and uploaded. After doing this, the Zero board also compiles using it's latest version 1.62. Since my IDE has been mangled several times, I will do a carnivorous uninstall tomorrow and reload 1.6.5-rc5 and the two zero/due board versions previously mentioned. The problem appears to be solved by selecting the correct versions from the board manager for the IDE version installed. The latest is not necessarily the greatest.

I still get that error everytime I try to compile a sketch.

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Mac OS X), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

fork/exec /Users/YouKnowMyName/Library/Arduino15/packages/arduino/tools/avr-gcc/4.8.1-arduino2/bin/avr-g++: no such file or directory

I tried everything to get it work again. 1.6.5 works absolutely fine but since 1.6.6 I get this error. Is there any quick fix for it.

Thanks

I think you will have to use the approach I followed from a previous suggestion. That is, remove all traces of Arduino and save your sketch folder to some place safe. Install V1.6.5-rc5 and let it create the folders, libraries, and paths it wants. Test it with the blink sketch then start bringing your projects back and test each one. I did that but found that the latest Due and Zero add-ons using the board manager triggered the same errors again. I eventually found out that Due 1.64 and Zero 1.62 are compatible with 1.6.5-rc5. That's the combination I'm staying with until this is sorted out by the experts.

I use RevoUninstaller Free in it's most carnivorous mode. It still misses the library folder and the preferences file.

Good luck.

Since i install new IDE i get randomly error when i verify or upload my codes.

Error code is :

Arduino: 1.6.7 (Windows 10), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Mega or Mega 2560, ATmega2560 (Mega 2560)"

GetFileAttributesEx E:\Arduino\libraries\SD\src\File.cpp E:\Arduino\libraries\SD\src/SD.h: The filename, directory name, or volume label syntax is incorrect.
Error compiling.

And when i close IDE and reopen it and verify or upload all is fine. This happens realy randomly.

Hi Guys, Merry Christmas & Happy New Year.

Can anyone help me with this error message
Arduino: 1.6.6 (Windows Vista), Board: "Arduino Nano, ATmega328"

Library can't use both 'src' and 'utility' folders.

Error compiling.

This report would have more information with
"Show verbose output during compilation"
enabled in File > Preferences.

I tried to update my libraries folder the same way I always have (Copy and paste using windows explorer).
Is this what as caused this problem or is it something else?

Will 1.6.7 be any different ? ( I thought I read something about adding libraries differently from 1.6.6 onwards but can't find that info).

Thanks guys, this is stopping me from working. Headache :stuck_out_tongue:
Chris

That error is supposed to be caused by there being a src and a utility folder in the root of a library folder but there have been reports of libraries with the correct folder still causing the error for some reason.

Try this:

• Sketch > Manage Libraries...
  • Close the Library Manager window
  • Look at the console window(where you saw the "Library can't use both 'src' and 'utility' folders." error) and see if it says which library is causing the error.
  • Copy and paste the error here and I'll look into the issue.

I will remain with 1.6.5. 1.6.7 will not upload to my Gemma, which students at NSA will be utilizing in their projects. 1.6.5 works very well.

BobTheSouthEngn:
I will remain with 1.6.5. 1.6.7 will not upload to my Gemma, which students at NSA will be utilizing in their projects. 1.6.5 works very well.

If you gave some details on the issue we might be able to help you find a solution or if it's a bug then it can be reported so that the developers will fix the problem in the next version.