IDE keeps crashing

Hi I am new to Arduino.I have Ide (017) which will just about enable me to compile and upload a sketch. If I try to save it, open a new one or get help the IDE just crashes and disappears. I wondered about a virus but my scanner find nothing and I am not having any other problems. I can use the software (&Hardware) by pasting to/from another editor !! Joe

The problem is very likely Java related. There have been several folks who have had to upgrade to the most recent Java version or rename the Java folder under the Arduino folder. My suggestion is to search this forum and try some of the suggestions. If none of the suggestions work or you get frustrated, just ask for more help.

Ok

Thanks for that.

How does the IDE know where to look for Java?. I had a copy already on my machine prior to the Arduino dowload. Maybe I should clear that one out.

Joe

How does the IDE know where to look for Java?

I don't know. It appears to involve voodoo.

I had a copy already on my machine prior to the Arduino dowload. Maybe I should clear that one out.

I cannot recall that ever being a solution. I've read of people updating Java and renaming directories but never "clearing out".

Have you tried to search this forum for similar situations?