Indoor robot navigation

I dont know if this is the right category to ask this thing.. Anyway, im planning to build an autonomous car robot. The main idea is to build a fire-fighter robot that will search the house for fire with uv and other sensors and quench it with a small extinguisher. The first idea is to put fire sensors in each room of the house and when they detect fire will call the robot to this position to quench it.The other thing that im thinking is program the robot to search all the rooms for fire in standard short time periods and then return to its base point(i think this one i will follow). Im trying to find now which is the best way to navigate the bot in the house and go from the shortest path from room to room and back to the base point. Ive already read some things about SLAM but i dont think it the right one for this purpose. Any help would be useful

I saw some examples of indoor navigation from MRPT, but that probably requires more than an arduino. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Robot_Programming_Toolkit

will search the house for fire with uv

Did you mean the opposite end of the visible spectrum, i.e. IR?

I saw some examples of indoor navigation from MRPT, but that probably requires more than an arduino. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mobile_Robot_Programming_Toolkit

Nice one but i dont think also that arduino can handle this..

Did you mean the opposite end of the visible spectrum, i.e. IR?

Yes, i read somewhere that this is the best sensors for fire. Anyway this is not my problem for now..i first want to solve the problem that ive described before

Is this for a contest, or your own home?

If you own the home, and don't mind doing a bit (ok, a lot) of work, setting up a path through the house (maybe zoned) with under-flooring magnetic signal traces (using flat speaker wire, maybe), and sensing the signal might be a method worth investigating.

It would be kinda like doing a line follower, where the "line" is a low-power magnetic or RF signal.

Another possibility for a line would be using "invisible" UV dye or ink (though this might wear off over time).

You could also mark doors and other openings with bar-codes (or similar 2D codes) and read those...

Or - how about magnets and hall-effect sensors to make a line or markers (the advantage would be no power needed for the markers)...?

I just wanted to throw out some old-school low-tech navigation methods that aren't thought about as much, but may help aid in the navigation system.

:)

This one is for home use for my graduation project. Ive already think some of your ideas but im searching a more intelligent way to do this.

You can try also to use RoboRealm AVM Navigator plugin for your robot navigation task.