Intercepting data from Davis Vantage Vue on 902 MHz

Has anyone had any success intercepting the data coming from a Davis Vantage Vue Sensor to the console? They say they use spread spectrum technology in the range of 902 to 928 MHz.

I want to be able to monitor the values of wind speed and direction in order to control the direction to point my Ham Radio antennas in a "good" direction for high winds.

The Arduino needs the wind direction (the value from the 16-point compass rose that Davis uses would be sufficient) and would be triggered by wind speeds over some preset level, say 80 km/h

Any ideas and/or suggestions most welcome.

As a ham, you probably already know there are quite a few schemes to use "spread spectrum" transmission. Any idea which one Davis is using?

Paul, KD7HB

No. I have no idea what scheme they are using. That will have to be part of the “chase”

I am thinking that perhaps an otherwise unusable 900MHz cordless phone receiver from either the base or handset might be a starting point.

If the Weather Station is using spread spectrum technology, then without knowing how its generated and what the spreading code is you wont be able to pick it up on anything other than the specific receiver thats designed for it.

ve1js:
No. I have no idea what scheme they are using. That will have to be part of the “chase”

I am thinking that perhaps an otherwise unusable 900MHz cordless phone receiver from either the base or handset might be a starting point.

There was an article a year or two back in QST relating to using a TV dongle and software in a PC to create a software defined receiver covering the range of about 20 MHz to way over 1200 MHz. Dongle wasw cheap on Ebay and software was free.

I got a dongle and the software and it does work. Can receive the full range and the software has a waterfall to show what the receiver is seeing. If AM, FM or SSB, can listen to the audio. This might be a way to help with your project.

73, Paul, KD7HB

I've had another idea. (That may be bad!)

Given that I know nothing about spread spectrum techniques, and the fact that Davis' program Weatherlink uses USB (2.0, I think) to download the weather station, one should be able to put together a program to have the Arduino do that directly. I would need a USB shield, of course.

To me that makes much more sense that trying to work with something totally unknown. I doubt that Davis would use some proprietary protocol when the USB system works so well.

John

You could easily download the USB data into an Arduino.
However, you will still have to figure out what the USB data means.
Might be possible by simply looking carefully at it.
Is the Weatherlink program open source?

The program itself is not open source. However, Davis provided a way to write your own modules (to run under Windows) for their program and they provide the format of the information in the station. Should not be difficult.

This thread shows up at the top of the Google results when searching for "Arduino & Davis Vantage Vue" but unfortunately no solution was provided.

I did find a project on GitHub to use an Arduino as a receiver and thought I would share it here so more people find it.

I want to build my own receiver, not only for publishing to wunderground, but also to integrate with the rest of my home automation, and to display a better UI on an OLED screen.