Interfacing printer with arduino and computer using existing device driver

'm working on a project in which an arduino is serially interfaced with a printer. The goal of the project is to have the microcontroller as a middle step in the communication flow computer-printer in order to add some extra features.
From the pattern Computer --> Printer
To the pattern Computer --> Arduino --> Printer
The printer has a very nice windows device driver. This driver has some layouting functions, but all the commands sent to the printer are in clear uncoded text, available as a part of a standard protocol. Is it a way to keep the printer's driver while interfacing the computer with the arduino?
I mean, is it possible for the arduino to be "seen" as a printer, installing the printer's driver package and have all the functionality with a sort of arduino-bridge? I was thinking to use the new possibilities offered by the new ATmega8U2. Would just changing the pid and vid of the device do the trick?

what printer type do you have in mind?

a standard thermal printer like a zebra model

The printer is connected through serial?

the printer is connected through serial to the arduino.
Normally the printer is connected through USB to the computer, so I would like to keep the pattern
Computer --> (USB) --> Arduino --> (RS232) --> Printer

check out the softserial library + examples , think that is what you need.

My question is about I can interface the arduino with the computer and emulate the printer.
I already successfully connected the printer to the arduino.

you can just send the same responses to the pc as the printer did.
Should work

(did the same long ago with a pc between a unix printserver and a hp laserjet over rs232)

checco8:
My question is about I can interface the arduino with the computer and emulate the printer.
I already successfully connected the printer to the arduino.

can you give me the configuration of pin rs232 from zebra to arduino?

riandanualdy:
can you give me the configuration of pin rs232 from zebra to arduino?

You have awakened a 4 years dead Thread so don't hold your breath. And @checco8 is no longer using the Forum.

Start your own Thread and state your problem from the ground up.

...R