Internal Osc not working 8Mhz Bread Board

Well I have read about every post and I have tried about everything so I am now out of ideas.

I ordered some atmega328p-pu chips. They came with the 16Mhz external OSC setting and they work great. However, I would like to re-burn with the 8Mhz internal OSC so I can do low power 3.3v battery stuff.

I am using Arduino IDE 1.6.12. I have downloaded the correct .zip file for version 1.6- and installed the breadboard folder to my arduino hardware folder.

I am also using a leonardo board to program with.

I have loaded the arduinoISP sketch to my board. Un-commented the secton to use the old style wiring since that is the way I set it up.

I have also redone the programmer for the leo board with the following:

arduinoispleo.name=Arduino as ISP (Leonardo)
arduinoispleo.communication=serial
arduinoispleo.protocol=arduino
arduinoispleo.speed=19200

This is entered in the c:\program files (x86)\arduino\hardware\arduino\avr\programmers file.

This seems to burn the boot loader. It says that the burning of the boot loader is complete however, I question that it even did anything.

I then place it on my breadboard and connect an ftdi breakout board to it and the only way it works is if I add the 16Mhz crystal to it.

I have tried everything and I have no Idea what to do now. Can someone help? By the way my boards.txt file is as follows:

##############################################################

atmega328bb.name=ATmega328 on a breadboard (8 MHz internal clock)

atmega328bb.upload.protocol=arduino
atmega328bb.upload.maximum_size=30720
atmega328bb.upload.speed=19200

atmega328bb.bootloader.low_fuses=0xC2
atmega328bb.bootloader.high_fuses=0xDA
atmega328bb.bootloader.extended_fuses=0xff

atmega328bb.bootloader.file=atmega/ATmegaBOOT_168_atmega328_pro_8MHz.hex
atmega328bb.bootloader.unlock_bits=0x3F
atmega328bb.bootloader.lock_bits=0x0F

atmega328bb.build.mcu=atmega328p
atmega328bb.build.f_cpu=8000000L
atmega328bb.build.core=arduino:arduino
atmega328bb.build.variant=arduino:standard

atmega328bb.bootloader.tool=arduino:avrdude
atmega328bb.upload.tool=arduino:avrdude

Install hanisbull's minicore, it gives you all the clock options you're likely to want for an atmega328p (or other chip in that series) on a breadboard, and you don't have to fiddle with board defs.

Note that you probably actually want an 8mhz external crystal if you want to use it with the bootloader, as the internal 8mhz oscillator is not guaranteed to be close enough to 8mhz for serial.