IR Recoder and Playback

I want to create a IR Receiver that can record a IR signal e.g. a TV remote, and then at a press of a button it plays back the signal thou its own IR LEDs . I would also like it to record it to a SD card so I can manually add it to future Code.

Thanks Ian Scott

I think the normal response to posts like this "Permission granted"

What have you tried so far ?

I am not sure how to record the pulses coming out of a IR Receiver

Can you read the pulses ? If so, post the code for more advice, but a likely short term solution would be to put the pulses in an array. For longer term storage you mention an SD card. Have you got such a device and have you managed to store any data (not necessarily from the IR input) on it and read it back ?

It is not clear from your posts what experience you have of the Arduino. If you have not done so already then I suggest that you look at, run and understand the examples in the IDE.

There is a library with an example of what you are looking for in case you don't want to invent it yourself.

http://www.righto.com/2009/08/multi-protocol-infrared-remote-library.html

ianscott-arduino: I want to create a IR Receiver that can record a IR signal e.g. a TV remote, and then at a press of a button it plays back the signal thou its own IR LEDs . I would also like it to record it to a SD card so I can manually add it to future Code.

Thanks Ian Scott

This library works well (and it even has a "record/playback" program in the demos!)

https://github.com/shirriff/Arduino-IRremote

As far as storing IR remote codes in an SD card, there's no need. They aren't very large. You don't record individual bits, you record what data those bits produce (as well as how many bits the protocol has). You can store them in EEPROM (if you want to routinely add to your "library" of codes) or store them in PROGMEM at compile/upload time.

(Edit to add): Oops apologies to marco_c - he posted a link to the same person. Anyway, that's a great library.

ianscott-arduino:
I want to create a IR Receiver that can record a IR signal e.g. a TV remote, and then at a press of a button it plays back the signal thou its own IR LEDs . I would also like it to record it to a SD card so I can manually add it to future Code.

Thanks
Ian Scott

You may also want to use one of these: https://www.sparkfun.com/products/10732

It’s a little PC board with a small NPN transistor, the appropriate resistors and a high power IR LED. You can connect this directly to your Arduino (5 volts, ground and control signal to Pin 2) and it will give you a really “bright” infrared signal that works much further than merely connecting the LED to the Arduino port.

Also, note that Ken Sherriff’s IR library works with the Arduino UNO (and any other 328P based board). It doesn’t work on an Arduino MEGA (and I haven’t dug into the code to figure out why yet).

Lastly, in case you don’t know… you can’t see the IR light from the LED. At BEST you may be able to see a VERY dim orange glow in a pitch dark room. But a digital camera CAN see the IR perfectly (it shows up as a bluish-white glow). So you can use a digital camera to check if your circuit is working properly.