Is Arduino capable of this?

Hello,

Never used an Arduino and I am thinking of buying one.

What i need it for is:

I got a series of values let's say 20.

I want to input them into the program, code 2 formulas and get some results from the formulas.

And display on the screen the output values in a graph.

Next step is to have an analog potentio-meter to be able to increase or decrease physically the input values and in real time the graph to change. So as I change the input the output on the graph to change.

Is this possible.
Any help would be grateful.

Regards,
Adrian

And display on the screen the output values in a graph.

What screen? The Arduino doesn't come with a "screen".

I know it doesn't. A stand a lone small lcd screen. If is not working like that than on a pc monitor.

Graph of 20 values should be no problem to plot on a small 64x128 or so OLED display. An Uno/Micro/Mini/Pro Mini/Pro Micro/Nano (one of the basic ones with an ATmega328p processor) will do fine for that.

read values, from analog input such as a pot
plot them on a display.

yes, the arduino can do that.

Instructables

=================

A hint, for detailed answers, ask detailed questions.

also, read how to use this forum. to discuss chart outputs on a thread title that means noting does a disservice to future readers. the subject line should be in line with your question.

if you searched this site, would YOU have read posts that were Is the Arduino capable of this ?
or, would you have stopped at need help outputting graph ?

You can do all that on an Arduino but maybe a RaspberryPi would be a better option as all you seem to want to do is some maths and graphing.

An Arduino's strength is its ability to interface with external things like temperature sensors and stepper motors.

...R

Hi,
Welcome to the forum.

It sounds like something you would do with Excel.

Isn't that one of the great things a spreadsheet is supposed to do?

Tom... :slight_smile:

wvmarle:
Graph of 20 values should be no problem to plot on a small 64x128 or so OLED display. An Uno/Micro/Mini/Pro Mini/Pro Micro/Nano (one of the basic ones with an ATmega328p processor) will do fine for that.

I don't think that an ATmega328P is the right choice. Driving the 8192 pixels of a 128×64 OLED requires 1 KiB of RAM for the display buffer alone. The ATmega328P only has 2 KiB total, so that leaves you with very little space to do anything useful with the data.

Pieter

You don't need to keep the whole image in the Arduino's memory.

wvmarle:
You don't need to keep the whole image in the Arduino's memory.

Even having to think about that suggests to me that an Arduino is not the best choice - unless it has some other compelling attraction.

...R

It adds to the challenge :slight_smile: Do more with less! Of course you could throw an ESP8266 at it and start animating the thing in full colour but that'd be too easy.

wvmarle:
It adds to the challenge :slight_smile:

I think the technical term is "masochism" :slight_smile:

...R

Actually it shouldn't be that much harder. You're building up an image byte by byte. Instead of writing those bytes to a RAM buffer, then sending that RAM buffer to the display, you skip the RAM buffer part and write those bytes directly to the display's buffer to hold.

Same approach basically when writing stuff to 1602/2004 displays. I'm never building a RAM buffer holding all the text that has to go to the display, instead place it there as it's generated.

wvmarle:
Actually it shouldn't be that much harder. You're building up an image byte by byte.

Nobody builds an image byte by byte on an RPi :slight_smile: There are Python libraries for drawing graphs and most other things you want to display.

...R

You're building up an image byte by byte. Instead of writing those bytes to a RAM buffer, .........

No with an OLED display you are building up an image bit by bit so you need read access to the rest of the display in order to alter the bit you want without altering the rest of the byte. Using a RAM image buffer is the most efficient way of doing this.

Read access directly to the OLED display is not so easy and is not included in any of the Adafruit libraries I believe, but I could be wrong about this. Anyway the constant I2C access needed to read the display, if possible, would make the whole process very slow.

Their are libraries that do a text only display on a graphics OLED but that is only because you can build up a text display a byte at a time.

Hi,
What are the formulas you want to apply to your input data?
What accuracy and resolution do you need?

Thanks..Tom. :slight_smile:

First off, no one has agreed on the definition of ARDUINO. is it only the 328 chip ? or is it any chip that can be programmed with the ARDUINO IDE ?

second, WHICH ARDUINO are we talking about that only has 2 KiB of ram ? (PieterP did say 328 for that)
but there is the Mega, and the ESP8266....

second point, is using a shift register masochistic when you can just buy a MEGA and have individual pins ?

so far no one has said is can't be done. and there are youtube videos of it being done.
it would seem that just because a thing can be done, does not mean is is the easiest or best way to do a thing.

LCD in real time

Watch this to see a 328 8mhz on 3.3 volts , run an accelerometer in real time on a display.

Your URL is broken, correct one: TFT LCD Acclerometer GRAPHING Arduino Project! - YouTube

Pretty awesome, especially considering the size of that screen.