Is my Uno Kaput?

Been using an Uno for a lsaer engraver. All was fine until one of the Easydriver Stepper Motor drivers stopped working. I replaced it with a new one. Started to use the engraver and it would'nt do anything.

I tried to clear the Uno with the EEPROM_CLEAR sketch and reupload the GRBL code to it.

When trying to upload any sketch to it the RX led flashes really briefly but not the TX led.

I tried resetting the Uno but nothing works.

All I get is this error:

Arduino: 1.6.8 (Windows 7), Board: "Arduino/Genuino Uno"

Sketch uses 28,790 bytes (89%) of program storage space. Maximum is 32,256 bytes. Global variables use 1,485 bytes (72%) of dynamic memory, leaving 563 bytes for local variables. Maximum is 2,048 bytes. avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 1 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 2 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 3 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 4 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 5 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 6 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 7 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 8 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 9 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 avrdude: stk500_recv(): programmer is not responding avrdude: stk500_getsync() attempt 10 of 10: not in sync: resp=0x96 Problem uploading to board. See http://www.arduino.cc/en/Guide/Troubleshooting#upload for suggestions.

This report would have more information with "Show verbose output during compilation" option enabled in File -> Preferences.

Is my Uno broken?

Just tried the Loopback test and everything seems to be ok. Still not working though.

Try reloading the bootloader. Maybe eeprom clear sketch messed up the fuses or something.

Thanks CrossRoads. How do I do that?

Found out how to do it but I get the same response, nothing will upload to it.

Every time I try to upload, the sketch compiles, then starts to upload and I get 3 short blinks of the RX led and then 1 short blink about every 8 or 9 seconds.

Eventually it just stops trying and I get the error messages.

TX led does nothing at all, so I assume it is unable to transmit to the chip.

StuartB: TX led does nothing at all, so I assume it is unable to transmit to the chip.

No, it transmits to the chip just fine. Only the chip doesn't respond. So indeed, I would guess the bootloader is gone or the chip is blown.

Ok septillion. Thanks for that. Looks like I need a new one.

Thanks for the help.

Got myself a new chip from here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Atmega328P-Kit-Arduino-Uno-Bootloader-16MHZ-Crystal-22pF-Capacitors-/131675293038?var=&hash=item1ea875856e:m:m-HtOvcZkVKeHVChrjG_bwA

Includes Bootloader and 16MHZ crystal and the 2 capacitors needed to make a breadboard version.

Inserted the chip in my Uno board and it works fine again.

£2.99 posted. really happy now. :)