Just Getting Started

So I know this question may be laughable but here goes- I just plugged my arduino uno into my imac(OS 10.6.8) for the first time and tried to upload the first example(blink) to my board and I got 2 compiler messages:
core.a(main.cpp.o): In function main': /Applications/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/main.cpp:11: undefined reference to setup'
/Applications/Arduino 2.app/Contents/Resources/Java/hardware/arduino/cores/arduino/main.cpp:14: undefined reference to `loop'
Aren't setup and loop void functions that are part of every arduino sketch? Any help with this would be greatly appreciated.

setup() and loop() are created expected by the Arduino libraries, the C++ compiler generally would expect the main() function.

Try using one of the preloaded example sketches. If the "blink" or "bare minimum" throws exceptions, then maybe there is an environmental path problem.

setup() and loop() must be present even if empty.

It is the pre-loaded example code that I am using and I have tried both "Blink" and "Bare Minimum" and they both give the same "undefined reference" error.

Does the sketch verify (you don't need the Arduino plugged in for this)? If not, you've probably not downloaded the correct IDE or the download failed in some way. Try downloading it again.
If it does verify, then you've probably not set up the correct Com port and/or board type in the IDE.