Keep Frying Boards!

Hey guys,
as alot of people on here are, Im a novice when it comes to arduino
I am making a security system for my barn, code super super simple.
Alarm on button, alarm off button, horn/siren(controlled off 5v relay) , Photoeyesensor.

but for some reason I keep frying arduino boards?
I have the board being powered on 12.37volts,
I send my 12 volts to both my alarm on and alarm off button, and when i recived signal feedback to my input(when one of the buttons is pressed) it procceses whatever function, alarm off button, turn horn off and alarmon = false, alarm on button turn horn off, alarm on = true, and photo eye = LOW. The way the photo eye works is when the beem is broken, voltage comes back to the board and supposed to signall the alarm. I see that arduinos have voltage range on inputs from 7 - 20 volts and Ive fried a few boards now? If enough people care, ill upload a schematic. (I mean this as if it get's enough attention)

Always show us a good schematic of your proposed circuit.
Show us a good image of your ‘actual’ wiring.
Give links to components.

In the Arduino IDE, use Ctrl T or CMD T to format your code then copy the complete sketch.

Use the < CODE / > icon from the ‘posting menu’ to attach the copied sketch.

1 Like

No need for a schematic. That voltage range is only acceptable for the Vin pin(and really should be limited to about 10 volts). The voltage must be pure DC, not some form of AC.

I send my 12 volts to both my alarm on and alarm off button, and when i recived signal feedback to my input(when one of the buttons is pressed)

Your signal inputs must not exceed 5 volts. End of statement.

Let's rephrase that.
Nobody cares if you don't upload a schematic.
Leo..

Very few Arduino boards can power a 5volt relay when powered by 12volt.
The 5volt regulator on the Arduino could overheat if you do.
An option is to use a 12volt relay board.

How much current does the photo sensor use.
You could use a 12volt>5volt buck converter to power the Arduino on the 5volt pin,
and leave sensor and relay as they are. That bypasses Arduino's 5volt regulator.
Leo..

If you upload the annotated schematic also include links to technical information on the hardware items. I will take a SWAG and suggest it will need a redesign.

first time ever posting on a forumn. Did not mean to sound rude! Re-reading it, it does haha

Tahnk you, this is exaclty what I was looking for, I honestly just simply didnt know the max input was 5v. Explains why I kept frying boards!!

Go through it

You're welcome. Frankly, you gave us enough info in your first post, perhaps by accident. Reading the guidelines will help you when you have your next question, though!
Welcome to the (usually friendly, but technically obsessive) forum!

Thank you, I apologize for my ignorance!

Re-read post #2.

We can only help if you give us enough information.

When asked for schematics, images, and code, please supply it.

If we don’t get the information we need, there are a lot of others we can help.

This topic was automatically closed 180 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.