Keyes OLED Display not Working.

doughboy: by reset command, I meant sending a "reset" command to ssd1306 command register. I checked the datasheet and there is no support for soft reset.

sorry I did not explicitly say soft reset. Your explanation all pertains to hard reset.

Ah, a soft reset would be so much simpler :-)

you need a good magnifier like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/310695632607?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

your smd components will look like through hole components size.

and a good pair of tweezers.

it helps to use hot air rework station instead of soldering iron.

ok, I added a 100ohm resistor and the display worked using adafruit and u8glib.So at least I know the display works.

I’ll try the reset circuit modification next.

got the reset circuit done.

|370x500

doughboy: you need a good magnifier like this http://www.ebay.com/itm/310695632607?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

your smd components will look like through hole components size.

and a good pair of tweezers.

it helps to use hot air rework station instead of soldering iron.

Tweezers I have, but I could do with a decent hands-free magnifier and item in the link seems to be just the thing. The price isn't bad until the p&p is added on and that takes it above the £15 inclusive price for vat and Royal Mail charges which would add around another £15 on top if the seller declared the full price on the package. I'll have to search around. A hot air station is something I'd like to have, but I couldn't justify the cost. It would open up a new world though.

Your mod job is much neater than mine :-)

@doughboy... 1. Are u a baker? 2. 100 ohm resistor - which points did u connect that to? 3. The capacitor in the reset fix - which pins are they soldered to?

Rogmi: Tweezers I have, but I could do with a decent hands-free magnifier and item in the link seems to be just the thing. The price isn't bad until the p&p is added on and that takes it above the £15 inclusive price for vat and Royal Mail charges which would add around another £15 on top if the seller declared the full price on the package. I'll have to search around. A hot air station is something I'd like to have, but I couldn't justify the cost. It would open up a new world though.

Your mod job is much neater than mine :-)

You can find sellers from China selling the same magnifier. It has worked really well for me. I also use a photographer's loupe to inspect the finished work more closely. I got an 852D+ hot air station for $55. It's a combo hot air + soldering iron station. When I was researching, I almost bought the Aoyue 852A++ for more than double this price due to its good review. Good thing I didn't, as this one has worked quite well for me. Make sure to check the differences in the units when you buy. The same model number can have some variations of what comes with it.

prices change and sellers come and go, so shop around.

aisc: @doughboy... 1. Are u a baker? 2. 100 ohm resistor - which points did u connect that to? 3. The capacitor in the reset fix - which pins are they soldered to?

1. no sir. 2, in series on the vcc connection to the oled board.
  2. 14 and 16.

Hi doughboy, was just curios about the "dough" in your moniker :) I just tried a 100 ohm resistor in series with both 3.3V and 5V - - with u8glib unfortunately I still only get snow - with Adafruit. not even snow.

olikraus: Additionally remark: I have some I2C OLEDs, but all of them worked without additional reset circuit (although all of them from other sellers)

Oliver

I'm thinking this is one way to tell if the oled board has reset circuit or not.

See this picture- count the pins from the right/bottom to pin 14. You can see the trace going to a capacitor C5. |500x500

compare that to the one, pin 14 goes to R4 and there are no capacitors nearby. |500x400

Hmmm nice finding, nice pictures. I already consider the RC reset as a "not so good" solution. But even removing the C will make a very unreliable product.

Oliver

I think the rc reset is fine (actually clever I think). just my opinion.

I think it defeats the whole purpose of using I2C (or even SPI) if you have to carry another reset line.