laser harp/piano prototype

This is the 1st version of it.

im thinking of adding a lot more lasers and make a glorified laser piano. haha. like when u press a key, the key would break the laser beam and create a tune.

that is very cool!
would you share the code and construction? i would love to modify it to have each laser output a midi note to control a soft synth or something.

I can shed a bit of light on what is being done here.

The laser diodes are being shone on LDRs and the arduino is taking an analog read from the LDRs to decide if they have the laser shining on them or not. If you get the pull down/pull up resistor right then you can just do a digital read.

The only problem with this is that you can only sense one LDR at the same time to play two notes...

Mowcius

hmm thats too bad the LDR's are involved.
i have seen a video of another guy with a real powerful laser harp and the beams weren't shining on anything. Laser Harp - Does it really work?? - YouTube
playing one note at a time wouldn't be the worst thing in the world but it would be cool to get some poly action.

i have seen a video of another guy with a real powerful laser harp and the beams weren't shining on anything.

whoa thats a cool setup, is it pr assembled?? and i hae no idea how it works XD.

well i think the disadvantage would be that you would only be able to have 6 notes and 6 lasers with my setup.

hmm it could be worth getting a mega arduino that way you could have a full 13 note octave and a few extra analog pins for pots to work filters or whatever on the midi device being controlled.
could i check out the code you have been using?

video of another guy with a real powerful laser harp and the beams weren't shining on anything

That is done with a wii remote with the IR filter removed, it is picking up the bright dots of light produced on the bottom of his hand. Some computer software then interprets that and turns it into MIDI sounds.

Mowcius

That is done with a wii remote with the IR filter removed, it is picking up the bright dots of light produced on the bottom of his hand. Some computer software then interprets that and turns it into MIDI sounds.

thats interesting. I thought it had something to do with the hands. Well, that sounds way to hard for my level. I'll stick to LDR's for now.