LCD 1602 Display Shield Text and other things on the screen not working

Hi,

So I recently purchased on LCD 1602 Shield for my Arduino Uno. When I put it into the selected pins on my Arduino, then give power, it lights up. The potentiometer works fine, as it shows the first row of blocks on the screen. When I plug the cable into my PC, then run an example Liquid Crystal sketch, nothing shows up on the screen. The blocks stay the same, and nothing updates. I've tried looking through multiple forum posts and videos on YouTube, and I can't get it to work. I'm rather missing something, or there is something wrong with the Shield. I'm relatively new to Arduino, as I got my first board three months ago, so my lack of knowledge may have gotten in the way.

Get back to me when you can,
ProDCG

I for one am saying nothing until you tell us what "shield" this might be! :astonished:

I think it was this one,

Looking at it I totally forgot to check but is it compatible with the Arduino Uno? Also I think that's it

Code is just as much a secret as the shield, I see, but as a guess, it is for a bare LCD rather than one on a shield, and the signal wiring is different.
Again at a guess, try

LiquidCrystal lcd(8, 9, 4, 5, 6, 7);

Nick you are a life saver! Thank you so much for the help!

ProDCG:
I think it was this one,
Amazon.com: HiLetgo 1602 LCD Keypad Shield 1602 LCD Expansion Shield Board Blue Backlight 4.5-5.5V for Arduino Duemilanove Robot: Industrial & Scientific

Link fixed (garbage removed. :sunglasses: ).

Yes, I thought as much. :grinning: I do hope you read the warning about this shield posted at the top of this forum.

ProDCG:
Looking at it I totally forgot to check but is it compatible with the Arduino UNO? Also I think that's it

It is indeed, a "shield" designed for the Arduino UNO.

So do I gather it is working now?