LED matrix

hello

been meaning to put up some documentation of a project i completed for an event we hosted at the kazimier in liverpool called Deconstruct (19/06). The LED matrix consists of 25 strings: each carrying 5 x 1W led lights. The LEDs are encased in 100mm acrylic spheres. The matrix itself is controlled by Arduino and 2 multiplexing chips (max 7219) whilst the patterns were sequenced and controlled live over midi using ableton live, with each light assigned its own individual midi note. the whole project took about 4 weeks to build, and although there were some teething problems (mainly to do with power distribution to drive all the lights), the matrix works. The strings themselves have d-sub connectors which makes it really easy to hang in any configuration or shape.

looks like a nice project but I can't watch it here in the USA, they must have not like your music selection. :(

I get this error : This video contains content from WMG, who has blocked it in your country on copyright grounds.

Clicking on a thread entitled "LED matrix" I wasn't expecting that! Very impressive.

Andrew

thanks for the replies - i just used a section of a four tet song but did not realise that youtube was so efficient at recognizing the music and blocking it. will have to put up a version with some different music. but i also have it up on my website here:

http://venyakrutikov.net/led_matrix.html

Veeery nice! Try to make some sinus-wave, looks incredible in led-matrices!

How did you get the 1W Led to lighten up the entire ball? I can´t figure it out...

The connecting cables are very thin, I like that!

And as always: The code is the most interesting thing. Can you provide the code how to get this patterns in a 3D Matrix ?

What exactly is your insstallation for? Is it for a club, or an art/performance thing?

thanks - i actually used two led’s per ball one on either side of the cable. the cable itself is a 10 core ribbon flex. the installation was for a night called deconstruct we organised at the venue i run with friends here in liverpool. on the night it was used as a lighting feature for the main space, i am currently developing a number of live performances with dancers utilising the system, however i am hoping to be able to control it over xbee live, so that the dancers position, rotation etc can control different parameters of the system (i.e. the lights could follow them around the space). The code utilises the wiring library and simply maps the matrix onto 125 midi notes, if i wanted to use more lights i think i would need to use more than one midi channel. i chose to go down the Ableton Live route as it gives you a very easy way of programming patterns and controlling them live, including looping different points, adding delay effects and controlling the tempo.

the code is as follows:

#include <Sprite.h>
#include <Matrix.h>
#include <MIDI.h>

Matrix myMatrix = Matrix(4, 3, 2, 2);

int midiNote;
int x;
int y;

void setup() {
  MIDI.begin();
  myMatrix.clear();

}