Lidar Lite v2 capacitor 680+?

Hi!

Im setting up my Lidar lite v2 and in the docs its stated that i need a electrolytic capacitor 680uF, wich i dont have, i have a large range of others including 1000uF, so i read somewere that i could go higher, but just to be sure im asking the gurus how this all works!

so can i? and how dose this work, i know that the voltage stated is just a cap but the capasitance ?

Heres an image of the setup.

A request or requirement for a 680uF cap is based on load current requirements. As a general rule, you can NEVER have TOO much capacitance on your power supply lines. 1000uF is fine.

raschemmel:
A request or requirement for a 680uF cap is based on load current requirements. As a general rule, you can NEVER have TOO much capacitance on your power supply lines. 1000uF is fine.

Okay! so how dose it work? with the dischargeing? is it like amps? the unit pulls whatever it needs in case of instable current?

totally lost

It's rocket science.
Actually that cap is called a filter cap and is there to reduce/eliminate ripple on the regulated power supply line during operation. The value is chosen based on the device's load current . There's is nothing you need to do or know. Just use the 1000 uF cap and forget it. You haven't given any documentation other than a drawing showing a cap across 5V and GND. I don't have to ask anyone what the cap is doing there, If you say they asked for 680uF , I'm telling you ANY value greater than that is fine. Understand ?

raschemmel:
It's rocket science.
Actually that cap is called a filter cap and is there to reduce/eliminate ripple on the regulated power supply line during operation. The value is chosen based on the device's load current . There's is nothing you need to do or know. Just use the 1000 uF cap and forget it.

I regret not taking electronics classes ;_;

And untill i know how /why / where and when its still magic (or rocket science if you prefer) to me and it will annoy my little brain until i can understand it :smiley:

And thanks a lot btw!