logic level shifter connection with arduino

Hello everyone. I want to connect my ZEDF9P and arduino with a logic level shifter. I have the 4 side bidirectional logic level converter https://www.sparkfun.com/products/12009.
I want to connect it to arduino and ZEDF9P GNSS module but I am unable to get signals from GNSS module.
I also tried to make level shifter like this diagram attached but dont know how to connect arduino wires and zed RX and TX with this circuit. If someone will help me I will be thankfull

Transistor Level shift.png

Transistor Level shift.png

Which exact GPS module? Which Arduino board? What baud rate?

If the Arduino is 5V and the GPS 3.3V, connect the Arduino TX and RX to HV terminals of the level shifter and the RX and TX of the GPS to LV terminals. The Arduino TX goes to the GPS RX and the Arduino RX goes to GPS TX. You can supply the 3.3V and 5V from the Arduino.

Which exact GPS module? Which Arduino board? What baud rate?

I am using ZEDF9P multi GNSS sparkfun board ( SparkFun GPS-RTK2 Board - ZED-F9P (Qwiic) - GPS-15136 - SparkFun Electronics).
Trying to attach it to arduino UNO at baudrate of 38400.

If the Arduino is 5V and the GPS 3.3V, connect the Arduino TX and RX to HV terminals of the level shifter and the RX and TX of the GPS to LV terminals. The Arduino TX goes to the GPS RX and the Arduino RX goes to GPS TX. You can supply the 3.3V and 5V from the Arduino.

I have done the same but when I connect it don't get any signal. I connected 3.3v via USB TO TTL (PL2303).
I have connected via digital pins of arduino.

The bidirectional level converter shown is inherently slow, probably too slow for serial communications. The unidirectional type is much faster. Also note that each signal line (RX or TX) is unidirectional. Note that most of the Curiosity Nano boards use this converter IC and it works really well at up to 1,000,000 baud.

Curiosity Nano boards use this converter IC and it works really well at up to 1,000,000 baud.

You mean to say if I use this IC with arduino uno it will make serial communication successful with ZED or any other 3.3V device. Can you give some schematic which give visual figure for connection of this IC with arduino in voltage shifting purpose. Also There is one more question I checked the digital pins of arduino their voltage comes of 0.5 V but TX AND RX pins of UNO give 5V.why does it happen.

This IC is not available in my country. Kindly suggest something else please.

I also tried to make level shifter like this diagram attached but dont know how to connect arduino wires and zed RX and TX with this circuit. If someone will help me I will be thankfull

You would attach the Arduino TX/RX to the "5V logic" side, and the GPS TX/RX to the "3.3V logic" side. 5V to the Arduino 5V, 3.3V to the GPS 3.3V. You will need two of them, one for each signal.

The Sparkfun module is probably okay, too. Show us how you connected it.

dlloyd:
The bidirectional level converter shown is inherently slow, probably too slow for serial communications.

Is 140 Mb/s enough for serial communication? Bi-directional level translator NLSX5014

Yeah, the NLSX5014 is really fast, but it needs to automatically determine which side is input or output. I prefer the ones without the one-shot speed up, the digital level converters with a DIR control pin.

@arooj16088002 Here's one. Datasheet

TX AND RX pins of UNO give 5V.why does it happen

D0 and D1 are connected to another IC for USB communication to the PC.

D0 and D1 are connected to another IC for USB communication to the PC.

The programs i have seen for GPS connection to the arduino use digital pins other than pin 0 and pin 1. Can you give example of any UART CODE with GPS in which serail communication is done with TX Aand RX (pin 0 and pin 1) of arduino UNO.

If you connect the GPS to pins 0 and 1, you lose the ability to use Serial for program debugging, monitoring program output and variable values. Also could impact program upload reliabilty. Why do you want to do that?

basically once i do connect my 3.3 Volt device to the circuit i posted at the very posted. I connected digital pin 6 of arduino to 5vlogic point and tx pin of GPS module with 3.3V logic side of circuit. Now when I connected the digital pin 7 on the same 5v logic side and tx of GPS module to 3.3v logic side 9circuit is same) nothing outputs on serial monitor and no reception of signals at all. That’s why i am asking what should I do now.

Also the bidirectional serial converter as of sparkfun chip i am doing same connecting via Channel 1 and channel 2 to the HV side with arduino pins and LV with module. But still no reception at all.

My Arduino digital pins are also showing 0.5V once i check with the multimeter. Then how I can convert the 0.5 V pin into 3.3 V once the level shifter I am using is for 3.3 to 5V.
Kindly answer my quires.