Long button press proceeding counter just once

I am trying to have a switch wired to count number of actuations (that prints to an LCD).
The problem is the switch is held for about 4 seconds and I would like to avoid using the delay for that long. Right now the count just continues to count up while the button/switch is depressed.
How can this be done with code?
I have looked at debouncing but that doesnt seem to work with long button presses.

buttonState = digitalRead(buttonPin);     // read the state of the pushbutton value:

if (buttonState == HIGH) { // check if the pushbutton is pressed. If it is, the buttonState is HIGH:
    counter++ ; //Add to counter
    myEnc.write(0); //This redefines encoder to zero allowing the counter to force other if statement to reprint counter. 
    delay(500);
    lcd.setCursor(0,1);                 // Cursor Position Col 1 Row 2
    lcd.print(counter);                 // Screen Counter
}
}

Im struggling to understand how to logically get it to only count once, I have looked at a lot of different sources online and on the arduino forums and its not clicking

Check out IDE - File/examples/digital/state change detection. This shows how to sense when a switch (or any Boolean variable) *changes * as opposed to sensing when it's in one or the other stable state. Closely related to debouncing.

Thats excellent, and the example functions exactly as needed but when I use similar code the counter goes up constantly while button is held down and the else portion doesnt clear screen as written.

/Button Variables
  //Fixed
const int buttonPin = 13;    // the number of the pushbutton pin
  //Variable
int buttonState = 0;        // Current state of the button
int counter = 0;            //Variable for counter function
int lastButtonState = 0;    //Previous button state

void setup()
{
pinMode(buttonPin, INPUT_PULLUP);        //initialize the pushbutton pin as an input:
}

void loop()
{
  Serial.println("Basic Encoder Test:");
  // initialize the LCD
  lcd.begin(); //Initialize Screen

buttonState = digitalRead(buttonPin);     // read the state of the pushbutton value:

if (buttonState != lastButtonState) {
    // check if the pushbutton is pressed. If it is, the buttonState is HIGH:
    if (buttonState == HIGH){
    counter++ ; //Add to counter
    myEnc.write(0); //This redefines encoder to zero allowing the counter to force other if statement to reprint counter.
    lcd.setCursor(0,2);                 // Cursor Position Col 1 Row 3
    lcd.print("MELTING...."); 
    lcd.setCursor(0,1);                 // Cursor Position Col 1 Row 2
    lcd.print(counter);                 // Strap Counter
    } else {

lcd.setCursor(0,2);                 // Cursor Position Col 1 Row 3
    lcd.print("              ");        // Print Blank Spaces to clear out "Melting..."
  }
  delay(50); //debouncing

}

}

Where do you update lastButtonState ?

Gah! :o
Im a dummy, thank you sir.