Massage chair based on blood pressure

Hello Everyone. I’m a 5th year ECE student and currently on my last semester of studying. Our thesis is a massage chair based on the blood pressure level.

Our first idea is to buy a blood pressure monitor with bluetooth but unfortunately we can’t find one in our country. So we are forced to hack a normal bp monitor so that we can get the data from it and transfer it to our arduino so we can use it in changing the massage speed.

We would deeply appreciate any form of help or tips in hacking our bp monitor to be able to get the measured data from it.

Attached is a picture of our bp monitor. Thank you guys in advanced. Good luck further :slight_smile:

27044573_1722000711164007_2200274_n.jpg

How does the inside of that thing look like? Any place you could possibly hook up to get a signal out of?

If there's no signal output provided by the manufacturer, it's going to be hard to hack. What you could do, though (this is how it can be done - never tried it myself) is to literally hook up to the display, and see which segments are switched on, and read the sensor output that way.

wvmarle:
How does the inside of that thing look like? Any place you could possibly hook up to get a signal out of?

If there’s no signal output provided by the manufacturer, it’s going to be hard to hack. What you could do, though (this is how it can be done - never tried it myself) is to literally hook up to the display, and see which segments are switched on, and read the sensor output that way.

hello! Thank you for the response. I don’t have the bp monitor right now. It’s on one of my groupmates. But i will post an image of it asap. Oh btw we have another choice- image processing. But we have no background of it whatsoever. Can it be done thru image processing and how hard will it be if possible?

I'm sure it can be done, but not on an Arduino. You'll need much more powerful hardware for that - a real computer basically, like a Raspberry Pi. Maybe you can get something going with a Teensy or ESP32, they do have the memory and horsepower for it.

wvmarle:
I'm sure it can be done, but not on an Arduino. You'll need much more powerful hardware for that - a real computer basically, like a Raspberry Pi. Maybe you can get something going with a Teensy or ESP32, they do have the memory and horsepower for it.

Oh is that so. Okay thank you for the response! We'll probably use it as our last resort hahaha

Getting your hands on a bluetooth enabled one, or otherwise a blood pressure sensor with data output, would be the easiest. Can’t you just order them off e-bay or so?

wvmarle:
Getting your hands on a bluetooth enabled one, or otherwise a blood pressure sensor with data output, would be the easiest. Can't you just order them off e-bay or so?

Oh I actually found one on e-bay. I tried right now hahaha

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/FF7-Crane-Bluetooth-Blood-Pressure-Monitor/183031394547?hash=item2a9d8570f3:g:EyEAAOSwWWxY9MGv

If we're using this type of blood pressure monitor, what are the materials that we need? Also what types of arduino are capable of using bluetooth. Sorry i'm a noob on these sort of things.

Our plan is to get the data from the bp monitor via bluetooth then send it to the arduino. That value will control the massaging speed of the massager.

http://www.ebay.ph/itm/FF7-Crane-Bluetooth-Blood-Pressure-Monitor/183031394547?hash=item2a9d8570f3%3Ag%3AEyEAAOSwWWxY9MGv

AFAIK no Arduino family member has bluetooth built in, but they can all interface easily with Bluetooth modules such as the HC-05 and HC-06 modules.