MEGA: Uploading .hex program over usb

I don't want to use the Arduino software to write my programs as it only seems to support one source-file.
But i don't know how to upload programs without it. If i use AVR Studio for example, then i will get a .hex file that contains the program, how do i upload this to the MC with the usb-cable?
AVR Studio only seems to be able to program with AVRISP or similar devices but i don't have any of those, i only have the usb-cable that came with the mega.

Hi,
I have no solution for your uploading problem but

I don't want to use the Arduino software to write my programs as it only seems to support one source-file.

is not true, see
http://code.google.com/p/arduino/wiki/BuildProcess

Eberhard

Yeah, i’ve found the multiple tabs thing now but i still think the editor is crap.

I checked the source for how the upload is done and found something like this:
avrdude.exe -F -v -p m1280 -c stk500v1 -P \.\COM3 -b 19200 -D -U flash:r:“file.hex”:i
But i only get an error message saying stk out of synk :frowning:

There's an option in the preferences dialog to enable an external editor. Or you could look at the Makefile.

--Phil.

The only thing that option does is that it inverts the colors in the editor :stuck_out_tongue:

Search the forum for comments regarding using a Makefile or IDE environment to develop. You have to make a choice whether to stay with "sketches" or just start coding C++.

The Arduino software has an example Makefile in hardware/cores/arduino that you can use as a starting point.

The only thing that option does is that it inverts the colors in the editor :stuck_out_tongue:

Did you try editing the file in the IDE once the colours had been inverted? Or with an external editor?

--Phil.