MKR GSM 1400 examples won't work in Arduino IoT Cloud

I can’t get my MKR GSM 1400 to connect to the Internet using examples in Arduino IoT Cloud and the Arduino SIM card. IoT Cloud recognizes the MKR GSM 1400 and downloads sketches to the board without a problem. When I run any of the example sketches, such as TestGPRS.ino, I get as far as trying to send the GET request to example.org then I get an ERROR and it disconnects. I tried testing the modem and it works. I tried checking the signal strength and it’s fine. AT&T is my local carrier and 3G service is available according to their website. The GPRSPing.ino example acts the same way. I ran the BandManagement.ino example sketch and changed to band 5 (850/1900 in the USA) successfully but it didn’t make a difference.

I’ve used MKR WiFI 1010 boards with IoT Cloud successfully, so I don’t think it’s a newbie user error on my part. My SECRET_PINNUMBER, SECRET_APN, SECRET_USERNAME and SECRET_PASSWORD came from Arduino IoT Cloud and configuring the network with them works. I have a valid IoT subscription plan and activated Arduino SIM. The problem must be related to the interface between the MKR GSM 1400 with the Arduino SIM and my local AT&T carrier but I’m currently at a standstill in resolving it. I got on AT&T’s website and tried entering their proxy and port at the prompt from the sketch but that didn’t work either. I’m hoping that another forum member or Arduino IoT Cloud support knows how to solve this problem.

Attached are the serial monitor output of the TestGPRS.ino sketch and example sketch.

Update 1/24/2021: After checking further I discovered that AT&T only has 5G and 4G LTE coverage in my area. I guess my MKR GSM 1400 is going to be a boat anchor since it can only do 3G. In February 2022 AT&T is going to phase 3G out entirely. Wonder if Arduino will offer a 5G MKR GSM.

testgprsoutput.txt (4.62 KB)

testgprsoutput.txt (4.62 KB)

if i remember correctly arduino sim can connect only to arduino cloud and not freely on internet

Yes, you are correct tradexsrl, but I was trying to send data from the MKR ENV Proto Shield to Arduino IoT Cloud using the MKR GSM 1400 and Arduino SIM. I did that successfully with a MKR WiFi 1010 and MKR ENV Proto Shield going to Arduino IoT Cloud through WiFi and Internet but I couldn't get it to work with the MKR GSM 1400 and Arduino SIM connected to Arduino IoT Cloud. There is no WiFi where I plan to install the sensor, which is why I was hoping to be able to use the MKR GSM 1400.

Until Arduino comes out with a MKR board and SIM that will work with AT&T's 4G LTE or 5G (better still), I will look for another solution.

hi , are you using a lipo battery of at least 5000 mah connected to the mkrgsm1400?
have you connected the external antennna to the mkrgsm1400?
these are very basic questions but in my long experience on this hardware and long reading through the internet these mistake are very common

I found a better way using a Verizon myfi 8800 jetpack. I can connect to it from a MKR WiFi 1010 and it works on 4G LTE. Thanks for the suggestions. I did have the external dipole antenna connected but I was only using a 2,500 mAh LiPo battery. The fatal flaw is that 3G service is going away in a year. The 4G LTE will be around a while so the myfi is a better solution.

This topic was automatically closed 120 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.