MOSFET with arduino pro mini 3.3V

hello,

To control the power of a 12V siren (on/off) i want to use the mosfet IRFZ44N with an arduino 3.3V but it doesn't work because the mosfet needs more than 4v at the gate to work. How can i solve this issue ?
can i use a transistor between arduino and the mosfet IRFZ44N ?

My arduino is powered by two AAA battery.

Thank you for your help

three options:

Use a mosfet with a VGS compatible with 3.3V. Typically known as a logic level mosfet.

Use a simple npn transistor as a switch to drive the mosfet at a higher voltage. Logic would be inverted.

Use a dedicated mosfet driver IC.

Option four - use a darlington transistor pair instead of MOSFET.

option 4.5 use a relay

Logic level MOSFETs that switch well at 3.3V gate include BSS138N, IRLML2502 and PMV16UN.

When selecting a MOSFET make sure the data sheet gives RDS, ON for voltages of 3.3V or less. Many logic level MOSFETs need 4.5V to switch properly.

snyfir:
...because the mosfet needs more than 4v at the gate to work. How can i solve this issue ?
can i use a transistor between arduino and the mosfet IRFZ44N ?

Seems you're confusing ON with OFF.

Vgs(th), listed as 2-4volt in the datasheet, is the point where the mosfet just starts/stops conducting.
That IRFZ44N needs 8-10volt to fully turn on. Unsuitable, even for 5volt logic.
Leo..

Thank you for your answers.

Can the IRLZ44N do the trick whith 3.3V ?

If i use a simple npn transistor as a switch to drive the mosfet. my siren will be to on when the arduino is not connected. It can be annoying no ?

Yes you have to have a 12v supply for the siren. So yes

snyfir:
Can the IRLZ44N do the trick whith 3.3V ?

It won't switch on properly at 3.3V.
The ones that I mentioned above all do (but the BSS138 is a small signal one, max 100 mA or so, won't be able to drive a siren - the other two can handle 4-6A, see data sheet for details). Those I'm using routinely in my own circuits.

Ignore the part numbers. Just an example

Wonder what the siren current is? Might could use a 2N3904.

Even the logic level version, the IRLZ44N does not specify RDS(on) for voltages lower than 4 volts on the data sheet l found.
A P-channel power mosfet with a npn driver would be yet another option, having the advantage that the siren would not be active if there was no power to the Arduino and no logic inversion either.

It really would be easier to just use the correct component from the beginning.

wolframore:
It really would be easier to just use the correct component from the beginning.

That is of course correct, but if he wants a "through the hole" 3.3volt logic level equivalent of the IRFZ44N, the choice is limited.

I will try the IRLML2502 sound like the most easy way

snyfir:
I will try the IRLML2502 sound like the most easy way

Maybe you've seen these for working with SOT-23 surface mounted components such as the IRLML2502 :

There are breakout boards specifically for SOT23 components, giving you the pinout and shape of a TO-220:

I don't think a SOT-23 fits well on those breakouts, which are meant for SOP8 or SSOP8 packages (the ones that I have are double sided: 1.27mm pitch on one side, 0.65mm pitch on the other).

I agree that the ones I suggested are not ideal but do work.
A google image search on "SOT23 breakout pcb" yields many more and better including the ones you have illustrated.

I received the IRLML2502. I m so surprised that small thing like that can switch on/off 12v 4A.

Impressive, isn't it? The PMV16UN can do 6-8A even.