name of the arduino pin size

hi all, I think I have a very simple question, but can't find it on DuckDuck...

What is the size of the pins called on an Arduino? It is obviously a standard because it is the same size as you find in Computer conectors, breadboards etc etc... Does it have a name this specific distance between pins?

If you mean the headers then the pin spacing is 0.1 inches or 2.54mm.

The distance between pins is 0.100 inches, 2.54 mm. The actual pins measure 0.025 inches square.

Some call them “oh-one-hundred headers” or “dot one hundred headers” in the US. Lots of other names as well, depending upon the row and width count. They started out as high density ribbon cable interconnects between boards and peripherals in the late seventies.

The most common pins used to plug into those headers are called DuPont connectors.

Note that one of the headers on the Arduino boards with the Uno-style format (Uno, Leonardo, Mega, Due, Zero) is offset from the 0.1 inch grid. The header itself is 0.1" spacing but the placement of the header relative to the other headers is not. This was the result of a mistake in the very early days of Arduino. Instead of fixing their mistake, as any responsible person would do, they went ahead and shipped the faulty products to their customers. Over time this curse infected the entire Arduino ecosystem. Luckily we have options in an on-grid form factor (e.g. Nano, Pro Mini, Pro Micro, Micro, MKR boards).

Where in case of the Pro Mini there are various pinouts, the most common of which having the A4 and A5 (I2C, so pretty commonly used) pins again off grid... so they still don't fit on perfboard!

There is an excellent Chinese Pro Mini derivative board that has all pins on-grid and the ICSP header. You do need to cut a little bit of the plastic off the corner of the header because of the reset button being too close. I don't buy any other design of Pro Mini.

I'll have a look for that version. Can make prototyping life a lot easier.

Here it is:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/142954936926?var=441926793285

A little more expensive than the other types of Pro Mini, but I think it's worth it.
Note the FTDI header is not on-grid. That's never been a problem for me.

Thanks all for the replies,

how do you guys connect your projects? Do you use screw shields, do you solder or have you found another ingenious way to connect your arduino to it's environment?

For trying out stuff: patch wires and solderless breadboard.
For more permanent one off or prototyping: soldered on perfboard (that includes the Arduino; preferably a Pro Mini for its tiny size and low cost).

When I use a pro mini I totally agree…

I myself mainly use Mega’s in my projects and I am still searching for something easy and pluggable for the back connectors… I would love to find something that connects rj45 to those pins…

Please define the “back connectors”.

I’ve never seen anything like this commercially but I could see cooking up a Mega prototype sized board that plugs into the headers that was populated with multiple rj45’s.

Each connector could have 6 digital I/O along with power and ground. For longer runs or high speed digital and all analog cable runs, four signals per each connector, signal and ground for each UTP. Your mileage may vary.