name: something that converts LCD ribbon to breadboard size

Hey all, I got an LCD off ebay that has a 50-pin ribbon (?) cable coming out its back that looks sorta like this (not the same but this is just something similar I found on Google images):

So, since there's no breakout/shield included, I want to find some way of connecting/magnfiying these 50 pinouts to breadboard size so that I can hook the LCD up to the Arduino Mega.

I'm wondering how you would go about this... I suppose I need some cable/board that converts from this very-thin-spacing LCD ribbon to a breadboard/IDE/DIP sized connector/cable/pinout.

Does such a thing exist and, if so, what name should I search for?

What you’re looking for is LIKELY called FPC.

If you want to do it right:
http://www.hirose-connectors.com/connectors/H218fpcffcconnectors.aspx?p1=1
get the correct pitch sized 50 connection board mounted connector.

If you want to proto:
http://en.esskabel.de/adapter/datasheet/ada-flex-50max-nn-xx/186/
(note that this will likely cost you several times more than the display.)

If you want to google it yourself, the magic google juice is:
FPC BREAKOUT
or
FPC 50 BREAKOUT

ok. since I just HAD to make sure I knew my search terms were good, I found this: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/lcd-ext-breakout-of-05mm-fpc-p-200.html

if the pitch is correct, that is just about the best deal you're going to find.... Like... VERY good deal for how flexible it is.

brucethehoon: ok. since I just HAD to make sure I knew my search terms were good, I found this: http://www.seeedstudio.com/depot/lcd-ext-breakout-of-05mm-fpc-p-200.html

if the pitch is correct, that is just about the best deal you're going to find.... Like... VERY good deal for how flexible it is.

this is so perfect, and not that expensive either. thank you much! I'm not sure about the exact pitch spec of my LCD's cableout, so I measured using a caliper, and it was around 0.25mm.

How is the design of one of these FPC connectors - do you think the 0.5mm pitch input of the Seeedstudio breakout can accommodate a 0.25mm cable securely despite the extra space?

giantsfan3: How is the design of one of these FPC connectors - do you think the 0.5mm pitch input of the Seeedstudio breakout can accommodate a 0.25mm cable securely despite the extra space?

No it can't. You need to get a breakout board that is a perfect match. 0.25mm sounds like an unlikely pitch - did you measure the width of the gold trace or the space between them? The 'pitch' is the space between them and 0.5mm is the nearest relatively common size for panels sold on ebay. 0.25 is close to what I'd expect the trace width to be.

If you don't mind the soldering - and it's not that hard - then you can buy an adaptor like this one that has multiple pitches on it.

Thank you Andy. It was an erroneous measurement indeed. It was a 0.5 mm pitch, I verified; so I'm in the process of ordering the Seeedstudio item as well as stock up on a couple of those ebay ones too.

Liked the tutorial on your page; appreciate this reference. And your page on the easing-function idea was gold to discover. Look forward to reading future articles.

One question on the soldering idea in Step2; I'm surprised how fairly convenient this procedure is... Wonder if this method would work for SMD chips/parts in general as well... How is it that the solder only gets attracted to the pads (and as you said repelled by the board in between) without causing any bridges, generally speaking? I can see how that's clear if the pads were far enough from each other but since the pads are so thinly spaced, why doesn't this just result in connected blobs (as opposited to isolated pads)?

Mdfly.com has some cool oled units and a couple of them come with breakout boards with the FPC connection on them. I used that technique a few months back and it works great!

Yes, the technique works for MOST SMD work. Essentially you're doing manually what the big boys do automatically with solder paste and ovens. I really suggest you do a YouTube search for the curious inventor videos on soldering. He runs through the drag technique in detail, which I've had massive success with even in absurdly small packages.

Glad it will work for you!!